Labels not working in the app on my Iphone?

Jump to solution
01-28-2015 06:55 AM
JensAndersson
New Contributor II

I created some map layers in ArcGIS online a while back, using zip files. The maps are workng in the app on my Iphone, to the extent that I can see the points and vectors. I also enabled the labels. However, the labels work if I use my computer, but they are not visible on my Iphone. Also, I can't search for any of my objects in the app. Why?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Jens,

In order to login to the Collector and Explorer Application, you require an ArcGIS organization account:

Collector System Requirements

Explorer System Requirements

For the ArcGIS Mobile App (Green), you can login with a public Esri account if you choose to login. (Logging in will improve the searchability of contents that belong to your public account).  Labels are not currently supported in any of the mobile applications mentioned above.

The previews of the maps are created from thumbnails in ArcGIS Online where labels do display. This is why the map appears to have labels, when in fact they aren't be displayed in the applications.

You can however view labels of a webmap if you navigate to the webmap directly in your mobile browser. You can try this by clicking on this link in your mobile browser: http://bit.ly/1z9WJMt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KellyGerrow

Hi Jens,

What application are you using on your iPhone? Collector or Explorer?

Currently, Labels are not supported in the Collector application as outlined in this geonet post:

Labels not showing in Collector Map

If this a feature that you would like to be considered as a future feature, please post it on the ideas site: Esri Arcgis Ideas | Ideas Submission Portal

-Kelly

0 Kudos
JensAndersson
New Contributor II

Hello!

The app doesn't say what type it is other then "ArcGIS", that it is from Oct 8, 2013. It has no name other than that.

I scrolled further down, and found the two apps you are mentioning.

I installed Explorer, and it wanted me to log in. So I tried to log in. Even though I used the same login name and pass as I do on Geonet and on the other app, it just says that I couldn't log in and that personal accounts are not useable.

Why can't I log in on ArcGIS explorer? I've logged out from the other app?

However, I did find the maps I created before, even if I didn't log in (Key word is "Värmland").

Sadly, the labels doesn't work in Explorer either.

The weird thing is that I can see the labels in the preview of the maps.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI Jens,

In order to login to the Collector and Explorer Application, you require an ArcGIS organization account:

Collector System Requirements

Explorer System Requirements

For the ArcGIS Mobile App (Green), you can login with a public Esri account if you choose to login. (Logging in will improve the searchability of contents that belong to your public account).  Labels are not currently supported in any of the mobile applications mentioned above.

The previews of the maps are created from thumbnails in ArcGIS Online where labels do display. This is why the map appears to have labels, when in fact they aren't be displayed in the applications.

You can however view labels of a webmap if you navigate to the webmap directly in your mobile browser. You can try this by clicking on this link in your mobile browser: http://bit.ly/1z9WJMt

0 Kudos
JensAndersson
New Contributor II

Hello.

The whole idea of what I am trying to do is:

I work at the County Administrative Board of county Värmland in Sweden. I mainly work with liming of lakes and streams to counter the effects of acidification. We spread lime to a value of about 2-3 Million dollars a year, and we also sample a lot of water chemistry and biology. However, the field personel use paper lists, paper maps and primitive GPS to find the locations for the samples.

Therefore, it would have been quite nifty if I could make maps that they all could use, where they could see which objects we lime, why we do it and where the locations of the samples are. I have managed to make those maps, but since the field personel can't see any labels and there is no working search function (it seems) in the apps, all of the online functions are quite useless to me.

"Labels are not currently supported in any of the mobile applications mentioned above." sums it all up. I can't use either ArcGIS online or the apps for anything I have tried to do. No wonder our GIS department here have not even mentioned ArcGIS online.

Also, everything seems quite complicated and not very user friendly. I have, sadly, put down too many hours of work into this. I guess I'll head on over to Google Earth and try to create what I want there instead.

Anyways, thank you for your help.

ShaneSorensen
New Contributor III

Please confirm.  No labels in the mobile apps right?

I feel the same as above.  I too work for a government agency and without the labels, the apps lose a lot of appeal on our end.  We need the labels to work in the apps.

0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III

If you use the ArcGIS application (for iOS or Android), your labels might show up. One difference might be this - we use our own ArcGIS Server instance for delivering web services rather than ESRI hosted services.

0 Kudos
JasonRandall1
New Contributor

You can configure a pop-up that will display information as an alternative. The field crews would then just need to click on the feature to view the data they need.

0 Kudos