Layer cannot be added in scene: invalid or missing parameters

Jump to solution
03-23-2016 08:34 AM
EmmanuelVassilakis
New Contributor III

I am trying to add an orthophoto map into a scene in arcgis online. The file (img) is hosted in a gis server outside esri and it was published into a service that also contains another two similar maps.

The file was added into ArcGIS Online using the following path: Add item (from My Content) > From the web > paste to url. In My Content is displayed as a feature layer.

When I try to add it in a scene i receive the message that the layer cannot be added because of invalid or missing parameters.

Any ideas?

P.S. If I add the whole service (all the 3 maps) then the map is opening correctly in the scene

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

so the reason why it gets blocked is because the map service when added at the individual level MapServer/0 creates a feature layer. With a raster type map service this will create a feature layer with a null geometry and fail to add. When you add the service at just MapServer it creates a map image layer and that is supported with the raster type layers in a map service and why it works in the map and scene viewers.

If you want each individual layer into a scene you can create tiled image services and bring those into the scene viewer or publish up each layer in the map service individually.

Hope this helps

Russ

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Is it possible for you to share your service and/or your web scene and I can check out the issue? If you need to you can invite russell_jsapi  into a group with the web scene and feature layer you are seeing the issue with.

Thanks!

Russ

0 Kudos
EmmanuelVassilakis
New Contributor III

I don't fully understand what you mean by sharing...

I send you the link from web Scene share Web Scene Viewer

and also the link to the service Life_Kallidromo/Life_Kallidromo (MapServer)

I can add the whole service (all the three orthophotos) but not each one separately.

Please, let me know if you need something else.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

so the reason why it gets blocked is because the map service when added at the individual level MapServer/0 creates a feature layer. With a raster type map service this will create a feature layer with a null geometry and fail to add. When you add the service at just MapServer it creates a map image layer and that is supported with the raster type layers in a map service and why it works in the map and scene viewers.

If you want each individual layer into a scene you can create tiled image services and bring those into the scene viewer or publish up each layer in the map service individually.

Hope this helps

Russ

EmmanuelVassilakis
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot!!! I thought that that was the problem but I wasn't sure..... One last question. How can I create tiled image services?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

When you publish a tiled image service you will publish the raster data from catalog

Publishing image services—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Then you set up the image service in the service editor wizard you setup the caching you want to use. Note if you are using a non web merc projected coordinate system you will need to have your own tiling scheme for the caching.

EmmanuelVassilakis
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot! Message received!

0 Kudos
EmmanuelVassilakis
New Contributor III

Russell,

this is my work so far

http://webgis-mfk.geol.uoa.gr/StoryMap_LifeKallidromo

It is a Story Map (sorry the text is in greek) which contains web maps and photos, but also has other Story Maps embeded. Take a look... Any text in orange is a link opening something new.

I have already downloaded the Story Map into University's server (I downloaded the app and just added the Story Maps's id), all the layers which web maps are made of and the photos, are stored into this server but the embeded Story Maps are only in Arcgis Online.

Do you think it is better to also download them into the server (as I did with the final Story) and paste this link to my final Story Map, instead of the link I have now, which comes from arcgis online?

And also, Swipe Story Map is not loading.... Maybe I need to change timeouts in the swipe-config.js file (I found this .. https://github.com/Esri/swipe-map-storytelling-template-js/blob/master/Swipe/src/app/swipe-config.js). Do you agree?

Thanks a lot ... again

E

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

You don't need to host all the apps that you are embedding in your story, we typically just suggest you only do that when you need to customize them, so you still get ArcGIS Online regular updates for them. But you can do that for sure.

It seems that your Swipe application is not loading because it's either not shared publicly or one the webmap(s) or layer(s) it includes is not shared publicly. Unfortunately when you embed application we are not yet checking that those embedded applications are also shared appropriately. We have a tool on our website that makes it easy to check that kind of situation, My Stories | Story Maps if you locate your Swipe story it should tell you that something is wrong and help you fix it.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
EmmanuelVassilakis
New Contributor III

Thanks for your answer.

I knew about the "public issue", so I had already checked it.. But I've done it once more through My Stories and the result was the same... No issues found...

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos