license issues

03-18-2014 12:38 PM
douglascurl
New Contributor III
Having trouble understanding the licensing for Portal for ArcGIS v10.2.1 - I installed Portal, have an ArcGIS for Server Advanced Enterprise license, yet the Portal extension does not show up in the list of extensions available when I do the Software Authorization. And, of course, when I go to the "Portal for ArcGIS website" (sent to after I install), I get a the "Software Authorization" screen that says "Portal for ArcGIS does not have a valid license".

I have contacted my ESRI license manager person for my organization, and I didn't get a clear answer on what is needed (he thought that Portal for ArcGIS and Geoportal were the same thing - and didn't understand much beyond that).

Can someone please explain how the licensing works to get Portal for ArcGIS running on my server? I thought it was like every other extension for ArcGIS Server, but apparently not?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JacobBoyle
Occasional Contributor III
this should help: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/#/Authorizing_Portal_for_ArcGIS/017s0000005n000000/

Basically, you need another ECP code from the ArcGIS Customer Support site.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Jacob is correct; your Portal for ArcGIS license will be a different code than your ArcGIS for Server license.  Portal was not meant to be authorized using the same Authorization wizard as ArcGIS for Server.  While it is technically an extension, I have found it to behave and be treated differently than other extensions for ArcGIS for Server.  It looks and feels like a separate application altogether, and it is authorized accordingly.
0 Kudos
SteveBratt
New Contributor III
Jacob is correct; your Portal for ArcGIS license will be a different code than your ArcGIS for Server license.  Portal was not meant to be authorized using the same Authorization wizard as ArcGIS for Server.  While it is technically an extension, I have found it to behave and be treated differently than other extensions for ArcGIS for Server.  It looks and feels like a separate application altogether, and it is authorized accordingly.

Cool. But which license is needed? I don't see one called "Portal for ArcGIS" anywhere....

Thanks.
0 Kudos
JacobBoyle
Occasional Contributor III
You have to contact your sales rep or customer service to get one created, as the linked page does not state, but really should! 😄
0 Kudos
SteveBratt
New Contributor III
Thanks Jacob! That's odd, but it is what it is!
0 Kudos