No option to enable pop-up windows for map in arcgis.com

06-01-2011 09:07 AM
LesleyBaker
New Contributor
I've been googling and walking through the forums, but I haven't been able to find an answer.

In arcgis.com, when I click the arrow fly-out on my layer - I am only given an option for 'Description' and nothing else, including nothing for 'Configure Pop-up'.  Directly clicking on that layer does show the legend underneath (so I know it is the deepest layer, although I've looked for the pop-up at the above layer as well).  But, if I view my map in arcgis explorer (i.e. explorer.arcgis.com), I am able to turn on pop-ups no problem. 

Is there something I'm missing?  I've tried sharing the map to a private group - but the data isn't published yet, so I can't share out the map more globally.

Thanks so much for your time.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
AntónioMarques
New Contributor II
I'm getting the same situation. Added a map service as an item to my content in ArcGIS.com, created a map with it but there's no option to enable popups for the only layer present in my map.

Are there any limitations? Service or layer types, domains enabled, etc.?

Cheers!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Enabling popups is exposed on the sub-layers of a service layer. So you need to expand the layer by clicking on it to expose the sub-layers. The popup options are on the context menu of the sub-layers. Popups are not supported on image service layers.

If you don't see the popup options it may be that the "shape" field of the service layer is hidden. You can check on the service layer by clicking on the Description option in the context menu for a sub-layer. You should see a page like this:

http://atlas.resources.ca.gov/ArcGIS/rest/services/GeoScience/California_Fire_History/MapServer/1

Look at the Fields section to see if Shape field is visible. If it isn't then you can't enable popups. However, if you control the service itself, you can enable the shape field and refresh the service.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AntónioMarques
New Contributor II
I think i found out what was going wrong. If you turn off the field SHAPE of your feature class before publishing the MXD, most likely the resultant service will have it's "GeometryType" undefined. And then, in ArcGIS.com, it wont be recognized as a popup capable layer. If you don't turn it off, everything works fine (publishing the service, adding it to ArcGIS.com and configuring it's popups).

It worked for me! 🙂

Cheers!
0 Kudos
AntónioMarques
New Contributor II
Enabling popups is exposed on the sub-layers of a service layer. So you need to expand the layer by clicking on it to expose the sub-layers. The popup options are on the context menu of the sub-layers. Popups are not supported on image service layers.

If you don't see the popup options it may be that the "shape" field of the service layer is hidden. You can check on the service layer by clicking on the Description option in the context menu for a sub-layer. You should see a page like this:

http://atlas.resources.ca.gov/ArcGIS/rest/services/GeoScience/California_Fire_History/MapServer/1

Look at the Fields section to see if Shape field is visible. If it isn't then you can't enable popups. However, if you control the service itself, you can enable the shape field and refresh the service.

Thanks,

Mike

That explains a lot! Thanks!

Cheers!
0 Kudos
LesleyBaker
New Contributor
Worked for me as well!  Thanks!
0 Kudos
ShannonPugh
Occasional Contributor
The information about the Shape field needs to be part of the help documentation.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
We'll add it...the trick will be getting people to find it  🙂

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ShannonPugh
Occasional Contributor
So true Mike!  Getting people to use the help is like pulling teeth!
0 Kudos
RobbWright
New Contributor III
So true Mike!  Getting people to use the help is like pulling teeth!

...still voting to have ID on by default.
0 Kudos