Optimized hot spot analysis result only shows hot spots

03-04-2024 12:24 AM
CinnamonRoll
New Contributor

Hello
I am trying to creat a hot spot analysis map showing the fire pattern from MODIS fire data for the past 20 years. The figure 1 is the point distribution over the study area. I would like to perform a hot spot analysis to show where the hot spots, cold spots are. Therefore, I didn't assign any value for ''analysis field''.

I defined the projection to EPSG: 32637 in advance as well.

However, the result map only shows a big hot spot, without any other hot spots and cold spots while there is an obvious difference of the fire density between different parts of the study area. 

Is it because there are too many points overlapping? Are there any recommended solutions to this?
Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LydiaCarey
New Contributor III

how come the output looks like polygons instead of the inputted points?

0 Kudos
Stella_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi, if the output only shows the hot spots, it reveals that only statistically significant hot spots were identified in the analysis. The map contains no cold spots because none of them were detected in the analysis. If you click and open the legend of the output map, it should show a full legend including the hot spots, cold spots, and non-significant values.  You can further confirm if cold spots exist in the output by checking the Gi Bin column in the output attribute table.

A feature with a low value may not be a statistically significant cold spot. Please refer to How Optimized Hot Spot Analysis works and How Hot Spot Analysis (Getis-Ord Gi*) works for more information and details on the mathematics and algorithms. If you want to identify spatial outliers instead of cold spots, Find Outliers will be the recommended tool to use.

0 Kudos