Overwrite web layer from ArcGIS Pro stuck on "Uploading Service Definition"

03-21-2024 06:17 AM
JulianMcCoy
New Contributor II

I'm trying to overwrite one of my hosted feature layers with a layer from ArcGIS Pro, as I've done many times in the past. It gets stuck on "Uploading Service Definition".

Version is 3.0 (I know I should update it, but it was able to do this yesterday. I have to call IT every time I update and it's a whole thing, so I hang on to the versions that work for me)

I have a Standard license and I'm signed in everywhere. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In general, unless you're making some major changes to the schema, you should avoid overwriting your hosted layers. I have had the "overwrite" process fail on my many times, including getting stuck where yours is, and occasionally corrupting the hosted layer in the process. If all you need to do is update the data within the layer, consider doing a truncate/append process instead.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Kbray_gis_
New Contributor II

I would be keen to see the outcome of this, what I've noticed lately and within the new version of Pro, it seems to hang on overwriting processes.

We have a scripted overnight update process that is updating layers in AGOL, which is based on overwriting the hosted feature services.

Lately it's been hanging on certain feature services and the script doesn't error out or finish just hangs, but when I go and run the script again in the morning, it will overwrite the layer without issue.

This process up until recently always worked without dramas, but lately it's been hanging.

0 Kudos
HeatherWidlund
Occasional Contributor II

I lost a hosted feature layer yesterday (downstream reconfiguration is a nightmare) and now I have a completely different one hanging on Updating Service Definition. I'm afraid to interrupt it.

I checked the ArcGIS Health dashboard and it's showing all green but I'm wondering if something is going on.

0 Kudos
JLyon
by
New Contributor III

seeing this issue more and more, data overwriting that was quick and easy is now hanging most times.

0 Kudos
HeatherWidlund

My layer eventually failed, but did not delete the associated feature layer, so there's that. When I worked with tech support, we tried again and it worked. He seemed to think it had to do with some weird behavior on the host server. Scary.

0 Kudos
Kbray_gis_
New Contributor II

Yeah it is a bit odd, for the last week 4 out of 20 layers would hang on the overwrite, sometimes a different layer each day, but today they all worked 😕  the error in our logs was returning an internal server error 500? but looking into that didn't glean to much information

0 Kudos
AshleyHayes2
New Contributor III

Just wanted add myself as another person experiencing this issue.  I have overwritten the same 5 hosted features layers every month for years (across many versions of Pro) and have never had an issue.  Today it is stuck on "Uploading service definition".  

0 Kudos
JLyon
by
New Contributor III

keeping with the same issue taking 30 min to upload definitions, but today it failed to load and deleted the layer on the AGOL server, now the reloading for the layer has been spinning "upload service definition" for the past hour now. This is a new issue for most of us so would ne nice hear from ESRI on this issue. 

0 Kudos
HeatherWidlund

I would encourage everyone to submit support tickets with your timestamps. Maybe there is a set of servers that is having issues and this might help narrow it down.

0 Kudos