Overwriting old feature or tile service question

09-23-2015 07:46 AM
wcESRI
by
New Contributor

Hello,

When I upload a shapefile to overwrite a feature service or recreate a tile service in ArcGIS Online I noticed the data has not always changed.

I usually add a number to the new service such as road_v2.  However, it would be beneficial to overwrite the data.

I noticed when opened in a map the old data still seems to appear.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JenniferMcCall4
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Christopher,

Just to clarify - you are not currently overwriting the data, but you would like to?

If you're not overwriting the services, the data in the original service will not change.

0 Kudos
wcESRI
by
New Contributor

Hi Jennifer.  I should clarify I am using ArcGIS Pro to overwrite the data.

I am performing the following steps.

1) Deleting the data in ArcGIS online

2) Sharing as a layer in ArcGIS Pro  

0 Kudos
JenniferMcCall4
Occasional Contributor III

Here are the steps I followed to re-create the issue...

1) In ArcGIS Pro, right-click the layer and choose Share as Web Layer - > Publish

- ex; Published service called Buildings_v1

2) In ArcGIS Online under My Content, click the feature layer Buildings_v1.  Then choose Open -> Add layer to map.

3) In ArcGIS Pro, select a layer and choose to Overwrite Web Layer

4) In the dialog, select the feature layer to overwrite (ex; Buildings_v1)

5) Publish

6) In ArcGIS Online under My Content, click the feature layer Buildings_v1.  Then choose Open -> Add layer to map.

At this point, you're saying you cannot see the changes, correct?

Is this similar to your workflow?  I'm not sure where you are changing the name of the service.  Overwriting the service requires you to maintain the same service name, and Pro prevents you from editing it from what I can see.  This could be part of the reason you are running into problems.

0 Kudos