Overwriting web layer from Pro - fields not updating, aliases gone

Jump to solution
02-10-2023 12:51 PM
Labels (3)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I have a few novice questions about overwriting an existing feature service with an updated layer from Pro.

I went through my local version of the layer, reordered my fields, realiased many of them, and deleted others. I did not change any field names. I overwrote the online version of the layer successfully -- when I open the data tab on the item detail page, I'm looking at a table with the new field names and the old fields removed.

Ex. I added (Census) to the fields originating from the Census.

rburke_0-1676061551331.png

So far so good.

I start to run into problems in New Map Viewer where I have begun creating a map with the layer. From this help article, I understand that things like symbology will be pointing to the old fields still and I'll need to update that -- but when I click Fields on the right toolbar, it still shows me a list of my old fields.

rburke_1-1676061682814.png

Same when I go to symbology.

rburke_2-1676061859600.png

And after resetting to source layer properties -- same thing.

rburke_3-1676062008064.png

If I add a new copy of the layer, it shows the new fields, but no aliases.

rburke_4-1676062100158.png

Just seeking some clarity on what's going on here and how I might remedy without reconfiguring -- I have about a dozen copies of this layer in the map each with unique symbology, labeling, and pop-ups. In regard to those things, the layers still seem to be working properly, but I'd like to further modify my pop-ups and labeling which is difficult when I'm seeing extraneous, deleted fields and indiscernible non-aliased field names.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Ok - I see where I went wrong in AGO assistant, changing the item ID but not the URL. But now that I've updated the URL, some fields picked up their new aliases, but not others. This seems to be because they have their own properties defined in the map, but these properties don't reset when resetting the layer back to its source properties. Nor do fields show up in the list of properties stored in the web map when accessed in the Information section of NMV -- but when you look at "fieldsinfos" in AGO assistant, they absolutely are: field names, aliases, digit separators, and decimal places are stored there and thus override any user-visible settings. I've gone through and deleted everything except my attribute expressions and I am back in business.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I know ArcGIS Online has come along way with updating how they do updates... However, when it comes to changing symbology, reordering fields, changing field names and/or aliases, I fully recommend deleting the existing feature layer and then republishing a brand new one. If this is something that will cause a major headache due to the initial layer being all setup and stuff, you could publish your edited layer as a 'new' layer with a different name, and then using AGO-Assistant to repurpose the existing layer (https://assistant.esri-ps.com/).

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

AGO assistant might be best then. I'll give it a try. Thank you!

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Omg, that assistant is so much nicer than the one I've been using at https://ago-assistant.esri.com - thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if this would be a consideration for you when making major changes to feature layers.  Are these feature layers being used in web maps and web apps that are older (e.g. Web AppBuilder)?  As such, you might consider rebuilding the web map and especially the web app in a newer architecture such as Experience Builder while you are making changes to the supporting services that sort of break the web maps and web apps?

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

The map is in New Map Viewer and the only app I've made with it is a (new) dashboard.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Ok - this is super weird. I did use AGO assistant previously to update the source of several of these layers from an old feature service ("BlockGroups_Enriched_4co") to a new one ("TDP Block Groups with Index") and in fact, the new layer shows up as the source when I view this information in New Map Viewer:

rburke_0-1676307286035.png

But if I pull the web map into Pro and view its source, it still reflects the old layer, hence why I'm seeing some old fields & aliases:

rburke_1-1676307317212.png

Seems like a bug? User error in AGO assistant?

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Ok - I see where I went wrong in AGO assistant, changing the item ID but not the URL. But now that I've updated the URL, some fields picked up their new aliases, but not others. This seems to be because they have their own properties defined in the map, but these properties don't reset when resetting the layer back to its source properties. Nor do fields show up in the list of properties stored in the web map when accessed in the Information section of NMV -- but when you look at "fieldsinfos" in AGO assistant, they absolutely are: field names, aliases, digit separators, and decimal places are stored there and thus override any user-visible settings. I've gone through and deleted everything except my attribute expressions and I am back in business.

0 Kudos