Populate two different feature layers by adding one point?

03-05-2023 07:26 PM
DerekPhyn
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to build a workflow in Web AppBuilder or Experience Builder where a user places a new point for an incident that closes a road, let's say a landslide. Once they place the point the attribute 'NAME' for that point inherits the name of the road from an underlying road (line) layer, selecting the nearest segment of road to that point. I know this workflow can be done with the smart editor and smart forms.

However, the user then also manually populates other attributes for the point like 'IMPACT', 'REASON', 'SOURCE', 'UPDATE DUE' etc. When the user completes the new point I am looking for a workflow that will then automatically select the closest underlying road (line) segment (the one the name was inherited from) and, given that the line layer schema is identical to the point layer, also inherit the values assigned to that new point.

This way I have a point showing the actual location of the incident impacting the road but also a line showing the most likely impacted segment, with matching attributes. All captured in one workflow rather than having to capture that data as part of two workflows.

An additional challenge would be to ensure the two layers remain synchronised. If the 'IMPACT' value of the point changes, for example, then the 'IMPACT' value of the applicable road segment also automatically changes.

Any out-of-the-box ArcGIS Online suggestions or ideas welcome.

Thanks

Derek

0 Kudos
2 Replies
james-noble
Esri Contributor

Hi @DerekPhyn , what you describe sounds exactly like a typical Attribute Rules workflow. Unfortunately, these rules run at a Geodatabase level and only work in ArcGIS Enterprise at the moment - but I believe it's something that's on the roadmap for AGOL. More info: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-ideas/support-for-attribute-rules-in-arcgis-online/idi-p...

Unless someone can correct me - I don't think there's a COTS solution for this right now.

James Noble
Programme & Service Delivery @ Esri UK
0 Kudos
DerekPhyn
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @james-noble. I thought perhaps this might be something that could be implemented using Arcade. Will keep a watch.

0 Kudos