problem login in my local web application

10-04-2011 05:40 PM
JoseLuis_Serrano
New Contributor III
Hello,
I have created a simple web map in the section "my content" and I have shared it with a group but I haven't made it public. I have also downloaded one of the configurable web application and I have link the ID of my web application.
The problem is that when I launch the application I get dialog that says that I need a user/password for access my web map in arcgis.com. It looks like any of my ESRI related user/password works.
Am I missing something in arcgis.com or in the index.html file? Is it necessary this user/password since I would like to test the web application in an intranet?
Thanks,
Jose Luis
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
While the web application may be running on your web server, the web map it's accessing isn't. It's stored in ArcGIS Online, outside your intranet. Because you have not shared your web map publicly, you need to sign in to access it. Only the people in the groups you've shared it with will be able to access it. They will need to sign in as well.

You can embed the credentials directly into the web application, but then anyone who views the page source can see them. It might be better to just make your web map public.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
KaraO_Neill
New Contributor

Hi Mike a little late in response to this question, but I was just researching the same issue above. It appears that only the administrator log in works when signing in, the rest of the users in the group are unable to access the web application using their credentials. Is there something in the role I might need to adjust? Any suggestions? Thanks!

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Kara,

There is nothing in the roles you need to adjust. Roles don't control access to items.

If you want people in a group to be able to see your web application, you need to make sure the web application and the items the web application references are also shared to the group. This includes the web map and any hosted layers the web map might include.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
JanetBrewster
Occasional Contributor II
Similar question -- I want to embed a map on our intranet site. From what I've read, I have to make the map public in order to embed it. But that means anyone would be able to access the map via ArcGIS Online? Would they also be able to edit it? Would they then also be able to access our intranet site that's behind a firewall?

Thanks for any help -- I'm new to Online and it's not making much sense....
0 Kudos