Public Maps Not Public - Requires Login?

10-04-2012 08:01 AM
MichaelSemenek
New Contributor III
I created several public "Web Maps" and "Web Mapping Applications" in the past. No problems - they work great on my Verizon HTC smart phone. But now every time I try to make a web map public and\or web mapping application public. Its not public. The Access and Use Constraints URL redirects to the arcgis online login page on my phone? What am I missing? Is anyone else running into this issue?  Shared with Everyone (public) is checked "ON".....

My workstation opens up the application just fine... My phone redirects to the log in page.

I used the "Make Web Application" with the new "Simple Map Viewer" template.
Tags (2)
23 Replies
MichaelSemenek
New Contributor III

Baffour,

A lot has changed since I first created this discussion. I have not had any issues sharing ArcGIS Online web maps or apps in recent years. Make sure the ArcGIS online "web map" is shared with Everyone (public). Make sure all the layers added into the web map are shared with Everyone (Public). If any layers added into the web map are "not" shared with the public, this could possibly be your issue. When you save the ArcGIS online web map, you may be prompted with an "Update Sharing" popup screen for layers that are not shared the same way. Just click on the "Update Sharing" button. If you click on the "Cancel" button the layers in the web map may not be visible.

A simple test: Log in and open the web map. Click on the "Share" button.... When the Share pop-up window appears: First make sure the Everyone (public) check box is checked ON. If "Yes". Then copy and paste the "Link to this map" URL into a new browser window and open it. (Note: Clear your browser cache if you are logged in to ArcGIS Online. Otherwise the web map will open and you will probably be logged into AGOL). The web map should open and you should see a "Modify Map / Sign In" in the upper right hand corner of the web map. If this fails you may want to consider contacting ESRI Tech support.  

Hope this helps you out.

Mike Semenek 

0 Kudos
BaffourAwuah
New Contributor III

Oh, there is one thing I didn't say here; the service is from SQL Database. 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Baffour, 

If the layer is hosted on a local ArcGIS Server then sharing the layer won't resolve the issue. Look into how you are sharing the web map and anonymous access. Feel free to share the link on this post and we can see if there are any hints as to what is causing the issue.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
BaffourAwuah
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly and Michael,

I added more service to the portal but whiles all (except one) were able

to open without logging, the main one ( Registreringsplantefelter2)

appeared for some few seconds on the content list and then vanish. Below

is the link:

http://fylkesmannen.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=016ab3d6c76f4e9cad75b3498202f036

Sorry the services are in Norwegian :).

Baffour

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Thanks Baffour,

It looks like one of the layers in this app is pointing to an internal service:

https://nygeoserver:6443/arcgis/rest/services/PlantingskogKlimatiltak/Registreringplantearealer2/Fea...

Replace this layer with one that is exposed to the internet in order for public users to be able to see it.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
BaffourAwuah
New Contributor III

'Pointing to an internal service' Please Kelly can you explain further?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

The service that you are pointing to is a url that you can only access on your network. It is the internal address to your service. If you modify your app/ web map to use this url: https://nordlandsatlas.no/arcgis/rest/services/PlantingskogKlimatiltak/Registreringplantearealer2/Fe... , it has been exposed to the internet and public users will be able to use it.

BaffourAwuah
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot Kelly. It really worked like magic. I am really new to the

new job that is mostly making and publish maps. All along I have been

undertaking advance spatial analyses so publishing has been quite a problem

for me. Thanks once again.

Baffour

BaffourAwuah
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

I have a feature access service that can be edited on the field. Please do

you know how I can let the edited area appear as a field on the table and

the Popup (name)?

Thanks.

Baffour

0 Kudos
MichaelSemenek
New Contributor III

Baffour,

I have well over 80 services setup that point to are SQL databases for data. Some secured, some open to the public.

Additional questions I would be asking you are:

Do you have an ArcGIS Server?

Do you have an ArcGIS Server with rest services open to the public?

Did you setup token security on your ArcGIS Server?

Is the rest service secured? If "Yes". Did you add the rest services into AGOL from your ArcGIS Server? If "Yes". Did you save the user account and password to open the layer up in an AGOL web map. (So users do not need to log into ArcGIS Online and then log into the ArcGIS Server rest services to open up the secured data.) 

If you added the data directly in from your rest services (and the service is secured on your ArcGIS Server) you will always be prompted with a login screen.

I do recommend you contact ESRI support. Why??  Because this discussion can lead into several other issues you might be having. 

Mike 

0 Kudos