Question about modifying the attribute tables of features in ArcGIS online

12-05-2013 07:30 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: LF2014

Hello guys,

I met a problem about modifying the attribute tables of features in ArcGIS online and wish somebody can help me to solve this problem, here is the description:

I have created a feature class called �??Damage_Assessment�?? in ArcGIS online and use ESRI data collector to collect data into this feature, the data I collected also include attachments such as photos I took when I was collecting the data in the field. Currently I have three points in this feature, and they all have photo attachments with them, when I click one point, it will show all its attributes and a �??photo�?? attachment as following picture shows:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29616[/ATTACH]

When I click the �??photo2.jpg�?? attachment, it will pop up a new explorer window showing the picture I took by my data collector.
Now I want to modify the Damage_Assessment�?? feature such as adding a new field to its attribute table or adding new domains into its geodatabase, so I go to �??MY CONTENT�?? in ArcGIS online, and click �??Open in ArcGIS 10.1 For Desktop�?� in the drop-down list of �??Damage_Assessment�?? feature, and it will download a file named �??item.pitem�?�, then I double-click this file and it will be opened in ArcMap for deaktop shows as the following picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29617[/ATTACH]

Then I right-click the �??Damage_Assessment�?? and choose �??Edit Features�?? �?? �??Create Local Cory for Editing�??, then it will save a geodatabase file in my local drive for editing, then I edit this feature by adding a field called �??test�?� in attribute table and modifying some domains in geodatabase, then I right click �??Damage_Assessment�?? and choose �??Edit Features�?? �?? �??Synchronize Local Edits with Server�?? in order to update the attribute table and domains, but all my edits such as the new �??test�?? field will be deleted when I synchronize it with server, the synchronized �??Damage_Assessment�?? feature in my local drive will become back to the original �??Damage_Assessment�?? on the server. So what it means is that it won�??t allow me to modify attribute table or geodatabase domains by downloading it, editing it with ArcGIS for desktop and synchronizing it with the original feature saved on the server. I know there is a way to publish this local �??Damage_Assessment�?? feature again to overwrite the existing �??Damage_Assessment�?? on the server, but it will delete all the attachments linked to this feature.

So here is the problem: if I want to update the attribute table by republishing it to ArcGIS online, I will lose all the attachments link to this feature, if I want to keep the attachments, then I have no way to modify the attribute table!

Has anybody met this situation before and got a good idea to solve this problem?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
If you are modifying the schema, you will need to republish the service. With your workflow, you can modify the table and domains then try to re-publish the service with the option to overwrite the existing service.

For testing purposes, I would actually try to publish it as a second service before I choose to replace the existing.

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos