"Allow Esri Access" checkbox

Jump to solution
01-24-2018 12:50 PM
KrissyLukens
New Contributor III

What does "Allow Esri Access" checkbox mean when inviting members to AGO?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Krissy,

Add a value of true for Allow Esri Access when inviting from a csv for user who you want to give Esri Access to:

Invite and add members—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS (Step 5. a). If you don't provide a value, it will defalut to false

-Kelly

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Manage members—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Administrators can enable and disable Esri access on member accounts. A member whose account has Esri access enabled can use My Esri and Community and Forums (GeoNet), access e-Learning on the Training website, and manage email communications from Esri. The member cannot enable or disable their own access to these Esri resources.

Hope that this helps

0 Kudos
KrissyLukens
New Contributor III

So, looks like a good thing and something that would be recommended for college-level students to have access to in an organizational account? I don't see a down-side to checking it to allow access.

0 Kudos
KrissyLukens
New Contributor III

And one last question - if I Invite Members from a file, what would the "value" for "Allow Esri Access" be, if it were checked? I'll be using a .csv of members I want to invite.

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hello

If you enable Esri Access - then the administrator for you MyEsri will need to link them to the MyEsri page for your Org. https://my.esri.com/#/questions 

They dont need to be linked to an MyEsri Org to access geonet however

I can't speak for how other college's operate but I'm speaking to what happens if you allow Esri Access from ArcGIS Online.

Others that work in this sector may wish to comment on how they operate and what they allow.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I choose not to check that in our organization. 

We are not federated for ArcGIS Online and assign users an account fnam.lnam_org  for ArcGIS online.  We want these to be separate since we do not have enough named user slots and have to switch users around as people come/go or users needing the mobile apps change.  Much easier to do if these are not associated with your organization myesri account.

If users need access for training, for instant, they usually use an account that is associated with geonet/community or a dev account and send a request, not their AGOL account.  These can still be associated with their work email, if needed. For us, that is easier to manage, although because it is not federated, we don't always know when people leave.  (down side)  Only a couple of us have full access to the (myesri) organization account.

I think, keeping it separate will also be easier for the user.  For example, when I separate from service, I will make sure someone else is assigned all the superuser/admin rights on myesri.  Then, I can change my email to my (global) geonet/myesri account to a personal email,  Then they can take the esri access away from me.  I will still have access to any personal accounts and geonet.  The AGOL account, they can disable and move items to another account.  Should be a clean separation if thought out.

Anyway, my two cents.

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Krissy,

Add a value of true for Allow Esri Access when inviting from a csv for user who you want to give Esri Access to:

Invite and add members—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS (Step 5. a). If you don't provide a value, it will defalut to false

-Kelly