Sharing an AGOL application to the public without sharing services comprising the map

12-04-2013 07:19 AM
SamKrueger1
New Contributor III
I've been using our organizations AGOL account for a couple months and have a good handle on using it/workflows within the GIS platform.

One basic concept I'm still trying to get a handle on is this....

Say I make a web application from a web map and want to share it to the public, is there any security functions that allow me to share the app itself, without making all the feature service layers that comprise it available for people to search as well, basically I want the application end product without giving up certain data for people to search and use. It seems this is not possible but maybe I'm overlooking something.

I understand you have to check the "share to everyone" box next to all elements of the application otherwise the user will have to login with a UN and PW.

Perhaps my answer doesn't lie within AGOL, there has to be a way to deliver an app while still protecting some of the feature services/data files that comprise the map. (do I need to host all map files not in ESRI cloud for this to be possible?)

I appreciate any clarification.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
I may be contradicted by someone else with information I'm not aware of, but I believe that because the map data services are accessed by a URL, anyone who loads your map into a browser can look at the communication stream to find the URL and then have access to your service.  When you create your services, about all you can do is make sure to reduce the amount of information exposed, e.g., by turning off fields in a data layer.
0 Kudos
MirBBenesov
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
SamKrueger1
New Contributor III
Maybe something like this idea ... http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E000000053ew&returnUrl=%2Fapex%2FideaList%3Fc%3D09a300000004x...

Yeah, this idea would probably help a lot of people out. I'm still investigating alternatives but am not having much luck. I am probably still overlooking something big.

We don't have ArcServer therefor I am utilizing our AGOL account for hosting map applications I create. The way AGOL is set up currently, it seems the workflows require that all pieces of the application need to be public if you want to embed or share it. Since I basically want to share map applications only (which limits the users experience anyway based on the set up) I really don't want to share all the underlying data for some of these projects for others to make their own. Hopefully someone has insight into a better workflow I can investigate.
0 Kudos