Size/Layer Limit?

03-22-2012 05:24 AM
DensoNAIL
New Contributor
I have the standard free arcgis service.  I have appx. 76 layers entered into my map with various information in each layer.  I can not get arcgis to open my map anymore.  It continues to try, but never does anything.  I fear I have gone over the size/layer limit; however, I have searched for what that limit may be, and can't find any information.  Does anyone know if there is a size/layer limit per map?  If so, is there any way possible that I can get into my map at least one more time, and remove some information?  It contains about 3 months worth of work.   Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DonPritt
Occasional Contributor II
When you view "My Content" after logging in it will tell you your map size and % used of the "2GB" storage cap.
0 Kudos
DensoNAIL
New Contributor
Mine said 0% of 2GB used.  Howver, when I click on the map it shows that the map is 980 KB which is well under 2GB.  Any other ideas as to why it may not be opening, or how I can get into it?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
That is a lot of layers!  What type of layers are in the map? Have you loaded a lot of shapefiles or CSVs into the map?  You might try using google chrome or firefox web browsers, as they are better than IE at handling larger maps.

Can you share your map and post the URL here?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
KellyGreenhawk
New Contributor
I am trying to find the same information and cannot find it anywhere. What is the size limit for a map in ArcGIS Online ? 

That is a lot of layers!  What type of layers are in the map? Have you loaded a lot of shapefiles or CSVs into the map?  You might try using google chrome or firefox web browsers, as they are better than IE at handling larger maps.

Can you share your map and post the URL here?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TanyaMeeth
New Contributor
The same problem happened to my online map. Everything was running fine (albeit a bit slow), then after the 25th layer added (all less then 1k records) - the file wouldn't open. Sometimes message said "corrupt file". I finally could open the file with Chrome.
However, I essentially had to start over, parse my entire map project into several, given this limitation (I too did not see any limits to no. of layers, posted anywhere).  This caused me alot of grief, and a lot of extra time (20 hours to be exact).
Can ESRI post better guidance to this effect?
Thanks. I do appreciate the product!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Here's a help topic that should help

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisonline/help/#/About_adding_data_layers/010q0000009v000000/

The important section on web map size is this:

Large amounts of data in a layer or the map may affect the performance of the map. For example, you may lose the map you are working on if you navigate away from the map viewer when the web map is too big for your browser to cache (generally, bigger than 2.5 MB, except with IE7 [64 KB] and IE8 [530 KB]). To help prevent this, sign in before you start working and periodically save your map, especially if you add a large amount of data.

(Tanya, I found a map of yours that is 14mb!)

The 1000 feature limit isn't really a layer limit, but a whole map limit. The numbers of features you can actually draw varies based on the complexity of the geometry of the features. For example, drawing 1000 points is just 1000 points. However, drawing 1000 lines, each with 100 vertices requires the browser to draw a lot more. Different browsers have different abilities to draw features.

A few post point to adding 25 layers and even 76 layers. Realistically, this is way too many. The solution is to instead create a service out of your data. If you have ArcGIS Server, you can do this now. In the near future, you can host your data in ArcGIS Online by getting an organizational subscription.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TanyaMeeth
New Contributor
Thanks Mike. Given my data set (Census Data), and trying to make statewide maps (or subsets, my workaround), it hasn't been easy to keep file size down.
In reference to the solution: "The solution is to instead create a service out of your data. If you have ArcGIS Server, you can do this now. In the near future, you can host your data in ArcGIS Online by getting an organizational subscription."
1) could you please point me to the best tutorial/help? 2)The org. subscription: I saw somewhere a side by side comparison of org. subscript. verse free/current subscritp - and both stated "small data sets only". Is that still the case? When will that be available?
Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Here are two sources of information about subscriptions.

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisonline/index.html
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisonline/help/ - Click the 'book' called "Using a subscription"

A subscription will allow you to support large data sets.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos