Some map services won't display

10-07-2010 11:18 AM
BernieConnors
New Contributor III
I have added several of my ArcGIS map services to ArcGIS.com and set them to be shared with everyone.  All of the data I have added to ArcGIS.com uses "GeoNB" in the title so it is easy to find by doing a search.  I have created a few "web maps" on ArcGIS.com that use my "GeoNB" map services.  Here is one example:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=08f319daf8db4d479fa92865dfbc6d40

This web map includes GeoNB aerial imagery as the base map and I have added GeoNB civic address points and GeoNB land parcels on top of the imagery.  This web map appears to work just fine.  Here is another example:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=6519794681a2422299302ead4f7c3f6d

This web map is similar to the first one but I have used OpenStreetMap as the base map.  The problem I have is that the GeoNB land parcels will not display on this web map.  It is pointing at the very same map service but the land parcels will not display when I use OpenStreetMap or any of the other base maps provided on ArcGIS.com.  To make it more confusing the GeoNB civic address points appear to work no matter what base map I choose.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
There seems to be a problem with the map service itself. From my testing, I can get the service to return a good map image when requesting the image without reprojecting it (which is why it displays in the first map with a custom basemap). However, when requesting that the map service reproject the image to Web Mercator (the coordinate system of the default basemaps), the server returns a blank image.

Here are some suggestions that I can think of:

• Are you seeing any error messages in the log files of your server?

• Is the coordinate system correctly specified in the map document? I can see that the coordinate system appears to be set to 2953, or New Brunswick Stereographic. When you open the MXD and look at the data frame and layer properties, is the coordinate system set properly?

• Are you serving up this service from an MSD file? An MSD is an optimized MXD. You create it from the Map Service Publishing toolbar in ArcMap. Run the "analyze" tool to checks for errors. This may turn up some error regarding the coordinate system.

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos