StreetMap Data new Address locator

11-07-2013 08:45 AM
ClintonCooper1
New Contributor III
I am trying to do some research on developing a good geocoding file either from Tiger data or from Streetmap data. 

I have found the data that comes available through ArcGIS (Streetmap) and was wondering what I can do to create a new address locator from that data.  In particular, I would like to take one state and create a new locator from that data.  As I looked through the data, I have found that there is not city/placename field in the 2013 version street data.  However, there are point files that do include city and zip files 

My question is this, do I have to upgrade to the premium version in order to have access to this additional data in order to create a new locator from part of the data?  If not, what steps do I need to go through in order to get the city and or zip properties into the street map file in order to create the locator?  Thanks in advance!!

Clinton
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ClintonCooper1
New Contributor III
/bump to get an answer.

Clinton
0 Kudos
ClintonCooper1
New Contributor III
I am trying to do some research on developing a good geocoding file either from Tiger data or from Streetmap data.

I have found the data that comes available through ArcGIS (Streetmap) and was wondering what I can do to create a new address locator from that data. In particular, I would like to take one state and create a new locator from that data. As I looked through the data, I have found that there is not city/placename field in the 2013 version street data. However, there are point files that do include city and zip files

My question is this, do I have to upgrade to the premium version in order to have access to this additional data in order to create a new locator from part of the data? If not, what steps do I need to go through in order to get the city and or zip properties into the street map file in order to create the locator? Thanks in advance!!

Clinton
0 Kudos
ClintonCooper1
New Contributor III

I have found the data that comes available through ArcGIS (Streetmap) and was wondering what I can do to create a new address locator from that data. In particular, I would like to take one state and create a new locator from that data. As I looked through the data, I have found that there is not city/placename field in the 2013 version street data. However, there are point files that do include city and zip files

My question is this, do I have to upgrade to the premium version in order to have access to this additional data in order to create a new locator from part of the data? If not, what steps do I need to go through in order to get the city and or zip properties into the street map file in order to create the locator? Thanks in advance!!

Clinton
0 Kudos
JohnBigham
New Contributor
Hi Clinton.

I also noticed the same lack of needed fields and posted a followup to this other thread:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/95833-Street-Ranges-StreetMap-NA-2013

I do not know how you could create an address locator now from the latest Streetmap NA data. As far as upgrading to the premium version, I'm also not sure that would work since it is supposed to be a read only dataset. I did not get the impression you could generate a custom locator for it. 

Your best bet might be to use TIGER or an older release of Streetmap NA.  TIGER has at least become more viable in recent years, but still has it's own issues.  If you did use TIGER, ESRI has provided instructions for setting up a locator for it at least:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=29865795746b49fdab55c4416f99609d

Perhaps someone else will have more info on this issue.

John
0 Kudos