Symbology questions

11-12-2012 07:51 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MCline19

I am creating a map on ArcGIS online that is hosted on an ArcGIS server.  Many of the layers within this map utilize "unique symbols" as part of their symbology - some using color-fill and some using pattern-fill.  When I import my layers into my ArcGIS online map, it displays using a single symbol.  Is it possible for ArcGIS online to utilize the symbology that is stored in the layer within the server?  Is it utilizing a single symbol because I am doing something wrong?  If the symbology it imports is too complex does it "dumb" it down?

Also, it appears as though my symbology needs may be too complex for ArcGIS.com.  Can ArcGIS.com utilize pattern-fill?  Or are the color-fill options available my only choice?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
What type of service are you adding to the web map? Can you post the URL you are using here?

If you are adding a map service, you should see the same symbols as the service supports because the map service returns an image of the data that gets displayed in the web map. However, I suspect  you are trying to add an individual layer inside your map service to the web map. By doing so, you are bypassing the image generation of the map service and directly accessing the feature geometry. This geometry is downloaded to the web browser and drawn by the web browser. The web browser doesn't have the same ability as a desktop app to draw features. Thus, you only get simple symbology.

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was adding each layer individually from the following:  http://gisnet2.cstx.gov/CSTX/rest/services/DevServ2/MapServer

Sounds like I need to be adding the map service.  Can you tell me how I would do that?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The URL you specified above is the map service. Use this URL when adding to a web map or as an item to my content.

I did notice that this service has a lot of layers in it, including one that is a basemap layer. If you are the owner of this service, you might reconsider how you author your service so that individual layers or groups of similar layers could be consumed separately. This would involve creating more services with fewer layers in them.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Mike,

I have two questions.  If I break up the layers in this map service into multiple map services:

1.  When I create an ArcGIS.com map, will I be able to make 1 map using multiple map services?

2.  What is the optimal number of layers to include in 1 map service?  Will decreasing the number of layers in a map service increase the speed of my map?

Thank you!
0 Kudos