.tif Layer Not Available in My Content

Jump to solution
04-05-2017 09:36 AM
BradleyOleson
New Contributor

Hello - I've uploaded an image (.tif) to my content. When I try to add it to a map on my account it doesn't show as an available layer to use. The only things I can add right now are items used in the ArcGIS Online online learning course I did this week. This is drone imagery which I'm trying to test use with ArcGIS Online inside of my organization. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can add a TIFF image to My Content for the purpose of sharing with others, but the list of layers that can be added to Map of ArcGIS Online is limited.

The following list shows what layers you can add to a map. 

• ArcGIS Server service (elevation layer, feature layer, map image layer, imagery layer, and tile layer) (URL)
  • Comma-separated values (CSV) file (.csv)
  • GeoRSS web feed (URL)
  • GPS exchange format file (.gpx)
  • Keyhole markup language (KML) file (.kml, .kmz)
  • Map notes (created in the map viewer)
  • Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Feature Service (WFS) (URL)
  • Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Map Service (WMS) (URL)
  • Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Map Tile Service (WMTS) (URL)
  • Route (created in the map viewer)
  • Shapefile (.zip)
  • Text file (.txt)
  • Tile layer (URL)

Add layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

You might like share the image as a tiled service using ArcGIS Desktop. Also See https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2996-publish-a-tiled-service-to-arcgis-online-wo-arcgis-for-serv...‌.

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can add a TIFF image to My Content for the purpose of sharing with others, but the list of layers that can be added to Map of ArcGIS Online is limited.

The following list shows what layers you can add to a map. 

• ArcGIS Server service (elevation layer, feature layer, map image layer, imagery layer, and tile layer) (URL)
  • Comma-separated values (CSV) file (.csv)
  • GeoRSS web feed (URL)
  • GPS exchange format file (.gpx)
  • Keyhole markup language (KML) file (.kml, .kmz)
  • Map notes (created in the map viewer)
  • Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Feature Service (WFS) (URL)
  • Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Map Service (WMS) (URL)
  • Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Map Tile Service (WMTS) (URL)
  • Route (created in the map viewer)
  • Shapefile (.zip)
  • Text file (.txt)
  • Tile layer (URL)

Add layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

You might like share the image as a tiled service using ArcGIS Desktop. Also See https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2996-publish-a-tiled-service-to-arcgis-online-wo-arcgis-for-serv...‌.

Think Location
BradleyOleson
New Contributor

I went through the Publish a Tiled Service to ArcGIS Online w/o ArcGIS for Server or Utilizing Your Credits per your link. That worked, and I was able to then view the drone imagery in ArcGIS Online in my map. However, the goal is to overlay it on one of the other Basemap layers - in this case the Topo basemap. The interface seems to be giving me a "one or the other" option: if I add the layer package of drone imagery, the basemap layer goes away. If I add the Topo basemap, bye bye drone imagery. Is this inherent behavior? Thoughts on how I can use both in the same map?

Brad

0 Kudos
BradleyOleson
New Contributor

Experimenting further, I tried adding it on top of one of the Image basemap layers. It would seem that it may be a projection issue. I'm guessing I should reproject the drone imagery to match the ArcGIS Online projection as needed. Let me know if you think this might also be the answer.

Brad

0 Kudos
BradleyOleson
New Contributor

After projecting my imagery to match the Topo layer's projection in ArcGIS Online, I went through the steps to again publish it. It still won't lay on top of the Topo map layer. When I try to place it in a map with an Imagery basemap layer I receive:

The imagery basemap layer is in the same projection (3857 - WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere). There must be something else preventing this from publishing properly. Any ideas?

Brad

0 Kudos