Tile Cache Tiling Scheme for high-res imagery?

06-16-2016 11:11 PM
MichaelZatorsky
New Contributor III

I'm working on preparing a tile map package to cache aerial photography for use with ArcGIS Online.

Is there a recommend tiling scheme for high resolution (0.1m or 4")  aerial imagery?

I have read and understood the rationale behind the highly promoted ArcGIS Online | Bing Maps | Google Maps tiling scheme, however my aerial photography has 10 cm res and supports clear viewing at 1:100 before becoming pixilated.

While the ArcGIS | Bing | Google tiling scheme stops here at 1:1,128 the native image is still clear at 1:100.

Has anyone developed an effective tiling scheme that allows high-res viewing, while still getting decent performance benefits of generating a tile cache?

Or is the solution just to extend the ArcGIS | Bing |Google scheme and add a few more zoom levels e.g. 1:500:, 1:250:, 1:125 etc.. via a custom tiling scheme, knowing that this will come at the cost of disk space and cache generation time?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexChristofides
New Contributor II

ERSI - is there any update on this?  I'm also looking to use detailed orthos with less than 2cm/pixel resolution, which can't currently be catered for with the tiling at a decent or even native resolution.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Alex and Michael,

If you have data that you want to tile at a larger scale then the ArcGIS Online | Bing Maps | Google Maps tiling scheme, feel free to do so. Depending on the extent of your data and the tile levels of detail, caching your data at large scales can result in a large amount of data, so factor this into your decision.

Other things to think about?

Do you plan on overlaying other data on this cached data? If so, what Levels of detail will be helpful to gain understanding from your map and/or app?

Will you want your users to switch between basemaps that use a different tiling scheme? When you save a web map, it uses the tiling scheme and projection from the basemap, if you switch to a basemap with a different tiling scheme, requests may be made to LODs that don't exist in other basemaps.

Check out this article for more information about basemap considerations:

Choose basemap—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly