Time-enabled data not working in ArcGIS Online

09-25-2012 03:31 PM
AllenRisley
Occasional Contributor II
Hello,

I have a time-enabled data layer that I constructed in ArcMap (U.S. State Weekly Flu Data for the 2010-2011 season).  I am able to use the Time Slider window in ArcMap to display the data week-by-week.  I am also able to export the map as a video file which shows the time series of data.  What I want to do now is make the time-enabled data available to students who are using ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Explorer Online, so they can map maps or map presentations based on the flu data.

I have shared a map that contains the flu layer as a map service to my ArcGIS Online account.  It is an organizational account and I am the administrator.  When I open the map service in ArcGIS Explorer Online, it only displays one week of the data, chosen arbitrarily (as far as I can tell).  There is no time slider.  When I go into the details of the map service it lists a separate layer, and when I click on that layer I get a prompt to create a feature layer, which I do.  That layer is then added to the map.  It has a time slider, but on data displays on the map.

The URL for the map service is: http://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/uEH09Hfm70zI2ZxR/arcgis/rest/services/Flu_Data_2010_2011/MapServer?tok...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen Risley
Academic Technology Support
California State University San Marcos
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
SarahO_Rourke
New Contributor
I've tried to do something similar with a personal account and no ArcGIS server, without much success. I found this tutorial, on the esri site. Not sure if it addresses your problem but hopefully it can help.

Sarah
0 Kudos
AllenRisley
I've tried to do something similar with a personal account and no ArcGIS server, without much success. I found this tutorial, on the esri site. Not sure if it addresses your problem but hopefully it can help.

Sarah

That is a great tutorial, and is pretty much what I am doing up until the point where he talks about creating a map service definition file.  I can't find a way to create that file in ArcMap without knowing Python scripting (which I don't).  It seems like what I am trying to do should be a function supported in ArcGIS Online, without having to use Python?

Thanks for the link!

Allen
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
ArcGIS Online hosted tiled map services don't currently support time enabled layers.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AllenRisley
ArcGIS Online hosted tiled map services don't currently support time enabled layers.

Thanks,

Mike

How about an ArcGIS Online hosted feature service?  Will that support a time-enabled layer?  I'm not sure at what point in the "Share as...Service" process my layer became a tiled map service.  I was trying to share a hosted feature service. 

So I guess the question is: Is there a way to take a time-enabled layer that was created in ArcMap 10.1 and share that layer on ArcGIS Online (and ArcGIS Explorer Online)?  I have been digging through the documentation in ArcGIS.com Help and I haven't found any reference to time-enabled data, either yes or no.

Thanks,

Allen
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Hosted feature services don't currently support time. It's something we want to support and will release when available. So, there is no hosted way to support time aware layers. You need to have ArcGIS Server currently to do this.

When you "share as" from ArcMap, you get a tiled map service by default. You need to explicitly enable the feature service capability (and optionally turn off tiles if you don't want them).

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AllenRisley
Hosted feature services don't currently support time. It's something we want to support and will release when available. So, there is no hosted way to support time aware layers. You need to have ArcGIS Server currently to do this.

When you "share as" from ArcMap, you get a tiled map service by default. You need to explicitly enable the feature service capability (and optionally turn off tiles if you don't want them).

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the clarity on these topics.  If I were in charge of the "to do" list, time-enabled data support would be near the top!

Thanks,

Allen
0 Kudos
BrettGreenfield__DNR_
It's only been a few months, but has this capability been added to ArcGIS Online yet?  I've been trying to upload a feature service with time series info and haven't been able to figure it out.  I'm guessing this still isn't implemented yet, is that correct?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
It's only been a few months, but has this capability been added to ArcGIS Online yet?  I've been trying to upload a feature service with time series info and haven't been able to figure it out.  I'm guessing this still isn't implemented yet, is that correct?

It was added in the December update - Link.
0 Kudos
AndrewGingerich1
New Contributor
So I am having trouble getting my feature service to display in ArcGIS online.   It works in ArcMap, I uploaded through ArcMap as a feature service time enabled.  It has time data in ArcGIS online.  But when I open it in the viewer it displays nothing.  The table of contents are there, but nothing over the base map and no time slider.  When I opened it in explorer a timeslider shows up, but again nothing is displayed.  What am I doing wrong?
0 Kudos