Time Enabling Layers

02-11-2016 09:20 AM
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I am wondering if I'm missing something in the process here.  I'll explain my overarching goal and then share the resources I've done. This may take on a few different directions to do just right. But, I'll start with the most obvious/frustrating one and then expand later into the other parts of my project.

So, I'm trying to make within ArcGIS Online, a time enabled map that shows a response over time to climatic change in a very simple way. Basically the same base layer will have a few polygons that change from green to yellow at different time periods.

What I can say is that It worked in desktop by simply time enabling the data layers and symbolizing accordingly.  However, I've tried moving this into ArcGIS online as a feature service, geodatabase and even the shape files and yet cannot find any indication of a where to go time enabled layer. When I look at this documentation found here Configure time settings—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  I have no option like it indicates to enable time settings. Why would this be? Are there other steps I'm missing?  The picture attached shows my only options.

We have an organizational account and I'm the administrator so all publishing privileges should be there.  Do I actually have to publish the layers some how before the settings are  able to be enabled?

Any help is welcome!

Thanks,

Dave

20 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

You need to go to that layers Item Details page (View Item Details).  Once on the Item Details page locate the Layers section and then click the down arrow next to the layer name.

DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

Kyle and Rickey,

I don't see an option to enable time in the detail screen?  I have published the layers and when I look through the documentation to view it within the rest server viewer I simply do not see anything indicating from the second link in your post Rickey indicating layers are time enabled.  But, I've enabled them in desktop and then zipped them and brought them into the online.

Like I said, this seems to be a simple step but I'm not sure what I'm not doing that's causing it to not enable time once layers are brought online.

Regards.

Dave

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The zipping is the issue.  After you enable time on the layer, you will need to publish the service directly from Desktop by going to File > Share As > Service. 

DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

Jake,

Thanks! I will try that now! I have my fingers crossed it will work! We don't have an ArcGIS for server account? Do I just publish it to the ArcGIS Online address??

Regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

1.  Go to File > Sign In and sign in to your ArcGIS Online Organization

2.  Then, go to File > Share As > Service > Publish a Service.

3.  You will be able to select your ArcGIS Online Organization (My Hosted Services) to publish to:

DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

Right,

I forgot about signing in first!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

Ok,

Unpacking the package? I've got it loaded in the online within our organizational account...

But, I see no option to unpack the map package.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Looks like you shared as a Map Package when you went to File > Share As.  You will want to choose to share as a service.

0 Kudos