Updated shapefile --> updated feature service?

Jump to solution
01-22-2013 06:28 AM
MattKelso
New Contributor II
I updated a shapefile for my organization.  Has the feature service also been updated, or is it still representing the old version of the shapefile?  Do I have to remove the old feature service, create a new one, then re-add the service to the appropriate maps, or can I update the shapefile and be done with it?  Does it make any difference if the original data was a shapefile or a .csv?  The feature service gives no indication of an update (I'm thinking of the "Last Modified" date as the most likely place to see such a change.)

Thanks,
Matt
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
If you upload a shapefile to your My Content and create a feature service from it, then the two are disconnected datasets.  Updating the shapefile won't update the feature service.  If you need to update data in the feature service, you can add the hosted feature service to ArcMap, create a local copy for editing, change whatever you need to, then synchronize the edits to ArcGIS Online.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
If you upload a shapefile to your My Content and create a feature service from it, then the two are disconnected datasets.  Updating the shapefile won't update the feature service.  If you need to update data in the feature service, you can add the hosted feature service to ArcMap, create a local copy for editing, change whatever you need to, then synchronize the edits to ArcGIS Online.
0 Kudos
SarahSchwarzer2
New Contributor II
Hi there,

I edit my data locally on a regular basis and would prefer to replace the hosted file with a locally maintained one rather than doing my edits on a local copy of the service - is there a workaround? Some way to replace a copy saved for editing with a different file perhaps? Also, I have edits disabled and that appears to mean that not even I can edit it by making a local copy (I've logged in and followed the instructions but the options are greyed out). What's the recommended way for me to deal with this while maintaining control over the data?

Thanks,

Sarah
0 Kudos