Uploaded CSV is missing records in featureLayer

06-09-2017 10:39 AM
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I have a CSV file that contains a variety of columns, including latitude and longitude.  I've not done my loading of CSV data into a featureLayer, and this is the first time I've had any troubles.  It seems to be cutting off some of my records.  I should have 211.  Looking at the data of the featureLayer, first it had just 159 records.  I've tried to upload the data multiple times, once getting just 106 records to upload, and then only 105.

I feel like there is something buried in this data that I haven't spotted, but I've taken it to the plain text format, which generally strips out whatever hidden character is the problem, and back to CSV and I'm still having this problem.

I tried just hosting this is a service in my local AGS environment, and I have a similar problem.  Only in that case, I see no data at all, simply an Error statement when I attempt to review the data.  

I don't want to attempt to use a shape file, because the column names are all very long. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tracy,

I was working with a customer the other day where this was occurring.  What I did was convert the CSV to a table in Excel.  I then sorted on the Latitude and Longitude columns to see if there were any erroneous records.  Removing/correcting them fixed the issue.

TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

That was an interesting technique that I haven't tried before, but it didn't help me. The lat/long looks fine. I tried creating a map service on my server as well, and  when I add it as a featureLayer, I can't view the data.   It just tells me it has an error.  I thought I could ignore it, thinking I only really wanted to see the points on a map, and got my whole web map and app finished.  It works fine in Chrome, but fails in IE.

When I upload the data, it looks like it has 105 records, but when I download back again to my machine, it has all the records.  I thought there was some sort of buffering going on that the points were there, and they just weren't displayed, but it's not a huge number I'm starting with in the first place.

https://mogov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=ae5a29f267714e79ac841b514b9d624b

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Can you share the csv file?

-Kelly

0 Kudos