Select to view content in your preferred language

User able to edit hosted view in ArcPro despite editing capability being disabled

Jump to solution
07-06-2023 12:57 AM
Labels (1)
DeirdreSmyth
New Contributor II

We have a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online from which we have created a number of hosted views. The Enable editing option is disabled on both the hosted feature layer and the hosted views.

We have found that once either the feature layer or the hosted views are added to ArcGIS Pro then the end user can edit the layer and the edits write back to both the hosted feature layer and hosted views.  We have tested this with users both inside and outside our organisation and have found the behaviour to be the same.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how to change it so the online layers are not editable?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LeslieUK
Esri Contributor

Hi @DeirdreSmyth 

What user role are you users set at? If they have a custom role, potentially they have been set with an admin level update permission which would allow members to update and categorize content owned by all organization members, and allows members to edit data in all hosted feature layers and hosted feature layer views, even when editing is not enabled on those layers. It is documented below:

ArcGIS Online Privileges

If this is the case, I would suggest amending the user role assigned or create a custom one to limit editing in your organisation.

I hope that helps!

~Just trying to fix things~

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LeslieUK
Esri Contributor

Hi @DeirdreSmyth 

What user role are you users set at? If they have a custom role, potentially they have been set with an admin level update permission which would allow members to update and categorize content owned by all organization members, and allows members to edit data in all hosted feature layers and hosted feature layer views, even when editing is not enabled on those layers. It is documented below:

ArcGIS Online Privileges

If this is the case, I would suggest amending the user role assigned or create a custom one to limit editing in your organisation.

I hope that helps!

~Just trying to fix things~
dottyhamel
New Contributor

Thank you very much for all the info! That's really helpful.

slope game

0 Kudos