Using ArcGIS Online To Store Linked Documents

05-22-2013 06:02 AM
BrianHaren
Occasional Contributor
ArcGIS Online (subscription account) now offers the ability to store certain non-spatial document types (PDF, JPG, TIF, etc) directly in the ArcGIS Online cloud.  I'd like to use this feature to store documents (PDFs) that I use as linked documents in Map Notes feature pop-ups in my web maps.  Unfortunately it appears that ArcGIS Online does not generate a URL for these documents once they are uploaded so I can't add them as a linked document.

Is there a work-around for this limitation?  I need to provide these linked documents to customers outside our domain and having them accessed directly from our ArcGIS Online site is an ideal solution.

Thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
18 Replies
BradleyMecham
New Contributor
@yeoanny

I assume since you asked your question over 2 weeks ago, you've either found an answer or moved on.  However, this blog post made things clear for me:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2010/01/05/direct-links-to-items/

In short, if you go to the <organization>.maps.arcgis.com/... site, you get the details page, but if you link to the www.arcgisonline.com/sharing/... page, you get the resource.

My question, though, is a variation of JohnPower1's question:
1) I cannot make the file public--it is protected information
2) I've determined that I need code to authenticate the user requesting the file
3) I am currently unable to piece together the different examples and figure out how to do this from within my remote app (which references a map, and hopefully by the end of this process, other files hosted on uplan.maps.arcgis.com).

How do I attach authentication information obtained via IdentityManager--which successfully opens the correct, secured map--to a request to open a file (in this case a .pdf)?

That's my question.  🙂  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
0 Kudos
SimonRoss_User
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bradley,

Did you identify a solution for this.  We're trying to do the same thing right now.  We have the option to host linked content outside of AGO but it's easier for our users if we can do it all within the AGO platform

Thanks

0 Kudos
JohnTownsend
New Contributor III

Has there been any update to this? It is 2017. I too am trying to open a file (pdf) stored on AGOL through a hypelink url within a web app.  From what I can see is there is two options.

• Hyperlink to the item information page.  This requires the user then to click again to open the file. Unfortunately, the URL expires quickly after the file is opened so using the URL to try to open the document directly results in error (as discussed by yeoanny venetsanos).
  • Use external storage outside of AGOL and use hyperlinks to the file locations.

It sure would be nice to be able to directly link to content published within an organization.  For now I'm going to have to default to using option number 2 though this seems a bit silly being the fact that all the other functionality is there within AGOL other than directly opening the file.

JTessier
Occasional Contributor II

Same request as what John suggests above, but for Portal for ArcGIS. If the user is logged into Portal already (via a separate tab even) then why would a direct link to the resource data not work?

paulkonings
New Contributor

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
We cannot find an answer to the questions raised here anywhere.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
CurtHarvey
New Contributor III

Still no solution to this? Really?

Any ideas from anyone?

JTessier
Occasional Contributor II

Is this on the GIS ideas board?  Or under development?  Looking for a pdf added to On-Premise Portal to have a link *to the document itself* that is accessible to users when the item is only shared to the Organization.  

AnthonyWhaleyUSFS
New Contributor II

I also have this same question. Any update on this Esri?

Specifically, if I have an image, pdf, or spreadsheet to link to from a Dashboard or StoryMap. If that item is shared with my organization, how can I insert the item as a rest url to link directly to the document. Not to the item details page. That is just confusing for users.

From what I've seen the item has to be shared publicly (which is not an option for my organization and I would assume for others) in order to have the rest url at the bottom right of the item details page. If that is available, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Anyone else have suggestions?

BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Here looking for the same functionality from our Portal as everyone else. I've got two as-builts I want to load as PDF items, giving me a hyperlink I can add to features for users to open the PDF directly in the field. I can do this only if the item is shared as Public, otherwise run into token issues.