using secure ArcGIS Server services

04-11-2011 05:23 AM
JörgMoosmeier
Esri Contributor
Hi all,

I have setup my AGS with SQL-Server/Token based security. Works just fine within the REST directory and ArcGIS Desktop.
I'm having trouble using a secure service in ArcGIS.com (adding in My content) or accessing the secure service in ArcGIS.com Viewer or Explorer Online.
Is it possible at all to use secure services (either Token based or HTTP basic/digest) in ArcGIS.com and these viewers?

Thank you
Joerg
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
If you look at the REST endpoint of your server, it would say a version number, like 10.03, which is 10, SP3.

http://domain/ArcGIS/rest/services

Are you able to connect and view your services from ArcGIS Desktop??

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
It's hard to troubleshoot why these connections are not working through the forums. My suggestion is to contact Esri technical support so that they can collect information about your configuration and possibly replicate the problem in house.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III
https://domain.com/arcgis/rest/services/service1/FeatureServer <--doesn't work in AGO (never ending username/pass box) unless a token is generated and appended to the end, like so
https://domain.com/arcgis/rest/services/service1/FeatureServer?token=xyz

Used the above token method and symbolized, organized, config'd pop-ups ect in basic map viewer.

Viewed resulting json data structure of AGO map and moved it to our mobilecontent server .
After publishing the json map to mob. content server, I removed the tailing ?token= from the rest end point URL's.

Connected to/viewed map on ESRI iPad app, and got a 'sign in to view this layer' box, so I did...........and it worked!

same exact rest end point, consumed by a dif. client (ESRI app for iOS) and it works.
0 Kudos
JonFisher
New Contributor III
I'm having the same problem (when I add a secure map service from ArcGIS Server, it won't accept my credentials). This used to work for me, so I'm wondering if some of the recent changes in AGO may have broken the functionality? We're running ArcGIS Server 10.01. While setting up a token and then securing the resulting web map works, the downside for me is that our secure services let users authenticate against our active directory (meaning that any staff member of my organization can view the map after logging in), whereas a secure AGO map requires everyone who needs access to it to create an account with arcgis.com and be granted access to that specific map.

For an organization of over 3,000 people, it is much preferable to use our own security and have AGO just pass the credentials on rather than requiring everyone to use AGO accounts.

I should also note that I have no problem connecting to our secure services via ArcMap.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Jon,

Can you give me access to your service? You can send me a private message to do so.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AndrewMilanes
Occasional Contributor II
Ever find a solution to this?  I'm having the exact same problem.

10.1 server
0 Kudos
AYounas
New Contributor III
Hi Mike,

I am having the same issue and sent a request in private message. Will you please check and reply.

Thanks,

Adi
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Adi,

Can you give me access to your server?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JonFisher
New Contributor III
We still have this problem as well. Back in April Mike indicated to me (offline) that in my case the problem was that our ArcGIS Server certificate was from Network Solutions, which arcgis.com has trouble with. There was a fix planned for either July or October depending on how things went.

Now when I try to add a secure map service, after logging in I get an error message that says "Unable to access the authentication service." I'm not sure if the same underlying certificate problem applies or if there's something new going on.

Jon
0 Kudos
AnthonyMyers
Esri Contributor
I am having the same issue with ArcGIS server 10.1.  I also discovered that a named instance other than arcgis "www.yourdomain.com/arcgis" will cause token generation from the REST page to fail.
0 Kudos