What about non-spatial data?

04-29-2014 01:35 PM
SeanBennell
New Contributor
I understand ArcGIS Open Data uses feature services with to power the site but how about data, such as a local government budget,that is in csv format and is non-spatial. What would be the workflow for including that? Please don't tell me Esri never thought about Open Data that had no spatial component?!? I know how to publish a csv to feature service but only if there are addresses or xy data. How about non-spatial?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
HNoakes
Esri Contributor

In the latest update of ArcGIS Online they have added support for all kinds of file types What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—Help | ArcGIS

Is there anything in the works for Open Data to catalog these non-spatial file types so they are searchable within an Open Data site? I have uploaded a pdf and zip, shared them with my Open Data group but would then like to be able to search for those files. Unfortunately these file types are not supported through a map or feature service (from what I understand) so the workaround mentioned above doesn't help me much.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Heather,

At this time we are only working with datasets coming from Hosted Feature or ArcGIS Server Feature or Map Services. We are working on providing support for file items in a future release. I know some people have put links to the file items from their Homepage, or even in tabular datasets where the name of the report is one column in the data and the URL to the item is another. Not ideal... but options until we can support file items in Open Data.

Thanks,

Andrew

StefanSteenekamp
New Contributor II

Hi, we are also interested in publishing non-spatial data via the Open Data Portal app. Have this been accommodated in the next release of ArcGIS Online (April 2018)? Any updates would be appreciated.

Regards,

OpenDataPortal#

ArcGISOnline#

0 Kudos
SimonMorgan
Occasional Contributor III

It would also be nice if Open Data supported PDFs so I could upload maps made in ArcMap.

StefanSteenekamp
New Contributor II

Hi, we are also interested in publishing non-spatial data via the Open Data Portal app. Have this been accommodated in the next release of ArcGIS Online (April 2018)? Any updates would be appreciated.

Regards,

OpenDataPortal#

ArcGISOnline#

0 Kudos