What is the difference between Publishing services (specifically maps), and the share map features?

Jump to solution
10-05-2014 06:52 PM
ClaudiaBarragan
New Contributor

I'm confused about the differences between Publishing services (specifically maps), and the Share map feature.  The varying terminology used in the user guides are very confusing. Can someone explain the two in simpler terms? 

I want to share (or publish ?) my AGOL map on my own organizations' website. I want it to look like (have the features) of one of the templates.

- Basically depending on the "share" steps I take it will be hosted either on AGOL or on my website, or both?!?  

- To share a (public) map I can either: (share) the AGOL link; embed (publish) the HTML code; create a web application & then embed (publish) the HTML code, do I have these right?

- Whats the best workflow to reduce the changing of URL parameters, in order to achieve my goal of publishing my (template based) map on my orgs. website?  (I'm not the best at coding)

Thank you for any help/guidance anyone can provide!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Claudia,

When you are publishing data to ArcGIS Online the data will reside in your ArcGIS Online Organization as a hosted service.  You then have the ability to 'Share' this service with Everyone (the public), your entire Organization, or specific Groups within your organization.

For example, I could publish a parcels feature class to ArcGIS Online, create a web application using the Finder web application template, and then Share this to a group called Assessors.  The application is hosted in ArcGIS Online, and only users that are in the group Assessors would be able to access it.

Optionally, I could download the Finder web application and host it on my local web server.  A good scenario for this would be if you wanted to customize the application.  Once you download the app, you can edit the code and then host is on your local web server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Claudia,

When you are publishing data to ArcGIS Online the data will reside in your ArcGIS Online Organization as a hosted service.  You then have the ability to 'Share' this service with Everyone (the public), your entire Organization, or specific Groups within your organization.

For example, I could publish a parcels feature class to ArcGIS Online, create a web application using the Finder web application template, and then Share this to a group called Assessors.  The application is hosted in ArcGIS Online, and only users that are in the group Assessors would be able to access it.

Optionally, I could download the Finder web application and host it on my local web server.  A good scenario for this would be if you wanted to customize the application.  Once you download the app, you can edit the code and then host is on your local web server.

0 Kudos