What product to use for a public mapping application for various mobile devices?

05-01-2015 02:58 PM
JustinSmith
New Contributor II

My organization is currently in the initial stages of integrating ArcGIS Online with our enterprise GIS.  I understand using AGOL I can make wonderful, user-friendly, web mapping applications with all sorts of templates of which a customer can access via a desktop. 

However, how well does this translate to mobile devices?  I am aware of Collector being the accompanying application to AGOL used on a mobile devices for gathering data, maintaining data, working offline, etc;.  However, is Collector a suitable, user-friendly, eye-friendly, application that allows the customer to view photos, hear audio, and read information much like the they can with a story map in AGOL for example?  If not, what is the application from the ESRI universe that will work?  Or does AGOL web mapping application work just as well on a mobile device in addition to all mobile devices (ios, android, etc;)?

Any responses would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

0 Kudos
7 Replies
VenusScott
Occasional Contributor III

All of the AGOL templates use the Javascript API and therefore are all mobile ready!

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

As Venus mentioned, ArcGIS Online works well on mobile devices through browsers.  I you want to do a bit more customization, and possibly host the web site locally, look at the Web AppBuilder Developers edition. There are many custom widgets being written by the user community to provide even more functionality.  It does rely on ArcGIS Online (or local enterprise Portal) to register (an for the basemap) but the if you have your own local ArcGIS Server services, there are ways to access those without uploading everything to the cloud.  For a good starting point including help installing, custom widgets, etc start at:  Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List

​Also, since esri is always developing new tools for us to use, especially the trend towards mobile, look for them to announce new possibilities around the User Conference (July).  That is when they like to let everyone know all the exciting things coming up.

BenGrod

Hi Justin, following up on the below question. I think Collector addresses all of your needs except the audio component (GeoNet community, please correct me if I am wrong). Sounds like you want a mobile mapping app that will suggest links based on a user location and play audio related to that location, like historical locations, monuments etc. kind of a tour app?

However, is Collector a suitable, user-friendly, eye-friendly, application that allows the customer to view photos, hear audio, and read information much like the they can with a story map in AGOL for example?

0 Kudos
JustinSmith
New Contributor II

Hi Ben,

Yes, the idea is that it will be a Public Art tour.  In the end I want a very user-friendly, visual application that will give the citizen all the vital information they want, including how to even find the public art they are reading about (just like the story map tour). This will be done with an enterprise GIS and the base mapping is created.

It would just seem more feasible in terms of updating and maintaining for it all to becoming from one source, ie; I revise the Story Map tour online, the mobile application is updated as well.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
BenGrod

Hey Justin, if you can solve the audio concern than I think Collector or better yet Esri App Studio would be a great mobile tour map. At the last conference I attended (PUG) Esri built a tour map through App Studio and deployed just that map as it's own app to Android and iOS devices, check it out here - Houston Map Tour. Finally, I think Esri has great products but if you want to go outside for a custom mobile app (while still consuming your Esri map/feature services) the guys at Neotreks are great, they specialize in Tour Apps but do a number of things. I've met and worked with them in person, they are a pleasure to work with. Hope this helps, and good luck!

JustinSmith
New Contributor II

Wow, that all looks great.  I think who I am working with on this project will be quite pleased.  On a side note ... is there a trick to getting ESRI's videos to work?  For example, if you click on the ESRI App Studio link, there is a video that will not play.  I am trying on Chrome and on IE.  In addition I sent it to my phone and attempted to view it on Safari and on Chrome.  I have had this issue in the past with ESRI's videos on their site to the point which none have ever actually been viewable.  Quite frustrating.

0 Kudos
BenGrod

Not sure why but the video plays for me in Chrome. Try this link instead, it's the same video only on a different site. This is the App Studio presentation from the 2015 Dev Summit. I'm pretty sure App Studio is still in beta, so you may experience bugs but on the bright side you are in on the ground floor of something good. Here's the link for the Esri App Studio Install.

0 Kudos