Where is CALCULATE? (not visible in my WebMap)

05-17-2017 01:12 PM
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III

I know I am missing something obvious so forgive me. 

I opened my table (Web Map).

I select some records.

I left click on column name.

I can't see CALCULATE but I do I see Sort Ascending & Sort Descending.

I have a Hosted FeatureLayer

I am the owner of the data

I am also the administrator.

I can edit features using the EDIT button and in Collector.

Where is that CALC button, am I looking in the wrong spot?

I want to do a mass calc. (Bonus Question: Can someone confirm I can select multiple features form the table but I can only select one feature at a time on the map?

Thanks for reading

Shawn

19 Replies
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III

Good job Kelly. You got it to CALC doing: 

"Can you open the layer with full editing capabilities in the web map?"

I am wondering if that is something I can set in the WebMap being used with Collector so I don't need to add it to a new WebMap every time I need to CALC. (That way users can just open up the WebMap and not have to deal with adding the featurelayer in a new web-map if they want to CALC. I will look at that, you have gone above and beyond. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Shawn,

Something still doesn't seem quite right. Opening the layer with full editing capabilities will give some additional editing privileges, but i'm wondering why you can't calculate the fields without the editing fields enabled. Can you share what the editing settings are on the feature service on the settings tab. Are you able to update, add and delete records or add only?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III

Kelly,

It is weird. I went to a colleagues agol and she had a hosted feature service and couldn't CALC either (until we opened it with full editing capabilities.

"Are you able to update, add and delete records or add only?"

I can ADD, UPDATE,DELETE with no problem.

Thanks again for looking at this.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shawn, 

Is there a little padlock showing beside the column names in the table? Try opening the layer in a new web map to see if calculate appears.

Carmel

0 Kudos
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Carmel. There is no padlock and when I bring into a new WebMap there is still no CALC.

(I see Ascending, Descending and Statistics)

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

That's quite strange!

Would you be able to share the feature service with us? You can invite cconnolly_gov to a group if the service needs to remain private. 

How was the service created in the first place?

What is the field type you're trying to calculate? You cannot calculate on the FID field. 

Carmel

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Shawn, 

Is editing disabled on the layer in the map viewer?

You also said you are able to calculate when you add to new map with "Full editing control". If you simply add the layer to a new map, can you calculate?

Mike

ShawnCarson
New Contributor III

Hey Mike,

Editing is Not disabled. (I can add, edit and delete records)

" If you simply add the layer to a new map, can you calculate?"

Nope. The only way I can CALC is adding FeatLayer to a new WebMap and using Full Editing Control.

This is AGOL not Portal does that make a difference?

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Shawn,

I can't figure out why this is happening. Is this a general problem across your hosted layers or just with this specific layer? We would need to look at the layer to figure out what is going on. We can open a tech support case and take this offline.

Mike

0 Kudos
MorganC
New Contributor

Okay I am having the same issue (5 years later). I also feel like I am missing something simple.

A colleague had a hosted feature layer on their AGOL, and I was using this feature no issue. Until I went to calculate a field in Map Viewer Classic. Left clicking on the field in table view only shows Sort Ascending or Sort Descending. (The field is double). There is not a padlock on this field.

Going to "Detailed View" of the field in the feature layer overview only shows a summary of the data, and it does not show "Calculate".

Thinking it was a permission issue, I made a copy of the feature layer to my own AGOL, but still nothing. I cannot figure out what I am missing.

0 Kudos