Why is it so hard to apply interactive filters in AGOL?

09-25-2017 06:00 AM
GeorginaCutler
New Contributor II

All i want to do is create some basic interactive filters in arcgis online that feed through into a web mapping application. I have a dataset with various attributes of text, numerical, and date fields and all i want to do is provide a drop down box for the user to be able to filter on them. Is there a max number of data types that shouldnt be exceeded? I have search the forums and all i get is a long winded way of creating domains and subtypes in catalog or loading in various scripts.  It should be a lot more simple than that surely? I have a good dataset of attributes (that I'm not going to type in manually in a domain). The hope is that the user in the web map can chose to filter on Stage, date completed and client using the drop down boxes based on the data that is in there. EsriCommunity-esristaff

Many thanks, Georgina

23 Replies
MelissaPrindiville
New Contributor III

Hi

I tried again as an attachment.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi mprindiville_gis , that is strange, it should show the prompt.

I notice that from your previous screenshot the title of the filter was "Filter by sector" while in the image attached the name is "Select a sector". Are they the same? 

0 Kudos
MelissaPrindiville
New Contributor III

Yes I changed the title.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

You are using the Web AppBuilder of ArcGIS Online, not a locally installed WAB, right? It should display the prompt and the hint that you specified. 

Can you save the WAB and refresh your browser (Ctrl+F5) to see if that changes anything? 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I don't see anything in the documentation that could explain this behavior: Filter widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS . In case the problem persists, you may want to contact support to help you determine what is causing this. 

MelissaPrindiville
New Contributor III

Thanks I will do a bit more research and post what I find. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
MariusKokko
New Contributor II

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right topic, but I'm struggling to create a web app with several filters (for one point layer) that would allow the selection of ZERO, 1, more than one or ALL of the unique values. For example I'd like to create a filter that would select from the Permitting status any of the unique values or any combination of these unique values (for example LUP 0, LUP 1 and LUP 4 as in the attached screenshot). Can it be done?

Thanks,

Marius

filter

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

It would be best to branch this to a new question. You can define a set of expressions combined with the OR statement to filter based on multiple values in the same field as explained in this post further up: https://community.esri.com/thread/202483-why-is-it-so-hard-to-apply-interactive-filters-in-agol#comm... . I don't think selecting none or all would be very functional (providing there are no empty values) since it would show none or all features.

It would be a great addition to have something as a multi select to show only the features that match the selected values in a single control without the need to create multiple controls.

CC dlaw-esristaff‌, KGerrow-esristaff

0 Kudos
MariusKokko
New Contributor II

In case of, let's say 10 filters, with 10 unique values in each filter the solution above would be if not impossible to do, at least very tedious to configure and use.

Multiselection with a tickbox or something would be nice.

EDIT: Admin feel free to branch this in to a new question.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Marius,

> I'm struggling to create a web app with several filters (for one point layer) that would allow the selection of ZERO, 1, more than one or ALL of the unique values.

You may want to look into Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS, specifically its actions framework and selector functionality. This might address your needs.

Hope this helps,