Zoom in limit destroys usefulness of Arcgis.com maps

03-14-2011 12:34 AM
StephanieTom
New Contributor II
Unlike previous Arcgis.com maps I've made, the newer saved maps don't allow me to zoom in close enough to see small parcels and imagery details.  This zoom in limitation destroys most of the usefulness of these Arcgis.com maps platform for me and the staff I support.  Can someone remedy this situation?
Tags (2)
18 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
You should be able to change basemaps. Just save the map. The next time you open the map, the zoom slider should be correct.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
CrisBarredo
New Contributor
The workaround my coworker Jon Fisher helped me figure out was to publish my own custom empty basemap in ArcGIS Server with 1:100, 1:250, and 1:500 zoom levels in addition to all the other standard arcgis zoom levels.  Then I pointed my arcgis.com map to that basemap.  Hope this helps you!

aloha,
Steph

Hi Steph,

Can I also do this using ArcGIS Online? I tried publishing a basemap with custom zoom-levels but I encountered an error telling me that I cannot directly publish a basemap as a service.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Cris,

Are you trying to republish an ArcGIS Online basemap? You can't do that.

If you have your own data, you can publish it as a service, then use that service as the basemap layer in a web map instead of the ArcGIS Online basemaps.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
CrisBarredo
New Contributor
Hi Mike,

No, I'm not trying to republish an ArcGIS Online basemap, what I'm trying to do is to publish an empty basemap with deeper scale levels. I add a new basemap in a layer in ArcMap and then set the minimum and maximum scale levels, when I tried publishing I encounter that error.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
OK, after talking to some ArcMap people, I've learned you can't publish a map if it contains a basemap. So you simply need to remove the basmap and add it as a "regular" layer.

One question for you, however. Why are you trying to publish a basemap that is empty? What exactly are you trying to achieve? You can make any layer from ArcGIS Server "the basemap" when you add it to a web map. If that layer happens to be dynamic, the map will zoom dynamically, not from tiles. Depending on the extent of your area of interest, generating empty tiles for larger scales could yield a lot of tiles.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
PaulStephenson
Occasional Contributor III
I have been looking at troubleshooting this same topic. I have tried services published using ArcGIS for Server as well as services published directly to AGOL. I have switched basemaps, and even set my own data as basemaps, but no matter how I mix it up I cannot zoom in beyond 1:1,128 within AGOL. Any suggestions? (I've seen a couple of similar topics but this seems to be the best fit that I've found)

Thanks

Paul
PaulStephenson
Occasional Contributor III
I have been looking at troubleshooting this same topic. I have tried services published using ArcGIS for Server as well as services published directly to AGOL. I have switched basemaps, and even set my own data as basemaps, but no matter how I mix it up I cannot zoom in beyond 1:1,128 within AGOL. Any suggestions? (I've seen a couple of similar topics but this seems to be the best fit that I've found)

Thanks

Paul

Update: I've found that if I have a cached service published with the desired scale settings AND have it set as the basemap AND have saved, closed AND then re-opened the AGOL map, I have what I was interested in. One thing to consider is that basemaps provided by ESRI don't seem to zoom any closer (They do not display when closer than they allow).
0 Kudos
DonPritt
Occasional Contributor II
One thing that baffles me and is disappointing is that I'll use the same base maps in ArcMap pulled off the internet from ESRI and can zoom in close but not in my GISonline organizational account webmaps, they're the same basemaps and wish I could have the closer zooms while in my GIS online Maps.
AlastairClinkscale
New Contributor III

One question for you, however. Why are you trying to publish a basemap that is empty? What exactly are you trying to achieve? You can make any layer from ArcGIS Server "the basemap" when you add it to a web map. If that layer happens to be dynamic, the map will zoom dynamically, not from tiles. Depending on the extent of your area of interest, generating empty tiles for larger scales could yield a lot of tiles.

Thanks,

Mike

Just to confirm, this isn't possible for a feature service created from a zipped shapefile uploaded to AGOL, only from layers published from ArcGIS Server?
0 Kudos