Unit of Measurement

07-06-2023 11:22 AM
PatrickAllen3
New Contributor III

Working for local government and calculating parcel Boundaries, our department occasionally use a more historical Deed description of Chains & Links for a unit of measurements.  Again.. ArcMap using the traverse tool allowed us to put a CH after the distance and ARCMAP would use this as a Chain & link unit of measurement and calculate the distance in chains and links. example: 10.51CH = 660.34 FT, Appears GISPRO does not have this option or capability.

Tags (1)
4 Comments
JonathanNeal
Status changed to: Already Offered

@PatrickAllen3 I asked @KenGalliher1 and he showed me we have many optional units in the backstage options window.  Among them are Chains and links.
Doc link: Set unit options—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

JonathanNeal_0-1688668786849.png

JeffWard

I was just getting on here to post what @JonathanNeal has already posted. Project -> Options >- Units -> Distance Units -> Then click on select unit code and add Chain_US, then you can use the ch override in the traverse tool.

PatrickAllen3

Thank you !!  Got it

AmirBar-Maor

How to add other linear units such as Chains?

Project -> Options >- Units -> Distance Units -> Then click on select unit code and add your favorite Chain flavor.

You can also get rid of units that are not applicable

AmirBarMaor_0-1688713938007.png

Open the traverse pane and you will see the units

AmirBarMaor_1-1688714046308.png

Notes:

1. The measurements are always stored in the unit of the spatial reference. Why? this is very useful when you have to project the data or need to compare it to the geometry. 
  2. You can modify the label expression to show the dimensions in your favorite unit. For example: PLSS features layers show dimensions in chains while other parcel types shows dimensions in feet.