Align Parcels moving adjacent boundaries

09-01-2021 07:27 AM
Labels (1)
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm attempting to align two parcels and it's affecting adjacent/overlapping parcels. The parcels being affected are not editable or selectable, and yet Align Parcels moves the boundaries. 

This isn't the first time this has happened and I cannot figure out what the common denominator is that causes this issue. 

Before:

test1.png

After:

test2.png

I was trying to figure out a discrepancy with a street in this instance. The align parcels tool is not helping.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PrestonDenney
New Contributor II

You may be having this problem because the new Parcel Fabric relies heavily on topology. You can try adding Anchor Points to those points you do not want to move.

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

That's the problem, all the other points that belong to those two parcels need to move. It needs to rotate on that one anchor point. 

0 Kudos
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

This may be better to try using the Rotate tool first to get everything close, and then use Align Parcels once everything is closer to where it should be.

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

I was not aware that tools like Rotate, Move, etc would work in a parcel fabric environment.

edit to add: I have never successfully been able to use those tools in the parcel fabric, anyway.

edit 2: Rotate does not work on parcels in a parcel fabric.

0 Kudos
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

You should be able to use any standard editing tool in addition to the parcel fabric specific tools.

Rotate works for me. Is there an error when you try to use standard editing tools?

Paul_Christensen_0-1630512699464.png

Paul_Christensen_2-1630512834784.png

Paul_Christensen_1-1630512792755.png

Rotate will even move historical parcels and other parcel types with the selected parcel. The dashed lines in the middle screenshot indicate topology relationships that will move with the selected parcel. If you want to move only your selected features and not those around it, you can turn topology off momentarily.

anna_garrett

Yeah, actually. Every time I've tried to use Rotate it tells me the layer isn't editable even though it is. Where exactly is the option to turn off topology temporarily? Because I've never seen that as an option. 

rotate1.pngrotate2.png

0 Kudos
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

I have experienced the "Layer is not editable..." error as well. I don't know what the issue is with that, but I'll just save my edits and restart Pro and then it works.

Topology can be controlled on the Edit tab under Manage Edits. There is a dropdown box.

Paul_Christensen_0-1630514018020.png

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

Thanks for the tip, that seems really new as I cannot recall being able to pause topologies, just the process of removing one and remaking it. 

I've experienced that error every time I've tried to use Move or Rotate in a fabric environment, regardless of how many times I restart Pro. It's pretty frustrating, because it would make life easier to be able to use those tools fully. 

0 Kudos
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

As an experiment, I disabled editing on a different Parcel Type and tried the same edit.

I received the "Layer is not editable..." error. I think that this is because Pro wanted to adjust the other Parcel Type along with my selected parcel since they are topologically connected.

To counter this, I turned off topology, and I was then able to edit the selected feature without the error.

To me this isn't a great fix, because you'd want to have topology on in most cases, but I don't know a great way to counter this if you need to prevent a layer from being modified.

0 Kudos