Parcel alignment for mismatch distances

Jump to solution
12-05-2023 03:14 PM
SenecaFrancis
New Contributor II

What has been your best practice for parcels with a significant ~15' difference difference. Between 3 subdivision phases the bearings are a little different but I can rotate and align the parcels and get close. But the 15' and way different bearing (see yellow highlight) I am not sure the best tool to use or leave it as an overlap.

I am using ArcGIS pro 3.2 and adding records and parcel to a geodatabase on my computer. 

SenecaFrancis_0-1701817828399.png

SenecaFrancis_1-1701817851296.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

In my mind, a 15 feet difference is not within the acceptable error range, it indicates there is a mistake on one of them.

There are a few methods you can use to find which one is wrong:

1. If possible, overly the entered information with imagery to see the 'ground truth'. 
  2. Each parcel has a legal stated area. Compare the legal stated area with the calculated area. In the parcel fabric, an area will be calculated if there is sufficient COGO information. You can also compare it to the shape area (geometry) and we even have an attribute rule shipped with the system you can use to detect this type of 'Area Mismatch'.
  3. In the Quality tab, use the quality layer called 'Distance mismatch'. This assumes you have good geometry but a wrong COGO distance value. 
  4. Run LSA (Least Squares Adjustment) in Consistency Check mode to detect blunders and outliers.

I hope this helps

Amir

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PrestonDenney
New Contributor II

I would suggest discussing this with your county surveyor. If that is not an option find a local surveyor you trust. 

SenecaFrancis
New Contributor II
Our recorder believes since the lines on the plats seem to line up there is
not problem. We don't have a full time surveyor but our contracted one said
it would require a full resurvey to be sure.
0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

In my mind, a 15 feet difference is not within the acceptable error range, it indicates there is a mistake on one of them.

There are a few methods you can use to find which one is wrong:

1. If possible, overly the entered information with imagery to see the 'ground truth'. 
  2. Each parcel has a legal stated area. Compare the legal stated area with the calculated area. In the parcel fabric, an area will be calculated if there is sufficient COGO information. You can also compare it to the shape area (geometry) and we even have an attribute rule shipped with the system you can use to detect this type of 'Area Mismatch'.
  3. In the Quality tab, use the quality layer called 'Distance mismatch'. This assumes you have good geometry but a wrong COGO distance value. 
  4. Run LSA (Least Squares Adjustment) in Consistency Check mode to detect blunders and outliers.

I hope this helps

Amir

JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Those old hand drawn plats are fun. I'm wondering if you are experiencing the phenomenon that I have observed where they will push all of their errors into one area of the plat. On the plats I have seen this, they usually have the correct bearing and distance labeled, but the line is definitely shorter or longer than what is labeled.

I would try entering just that lot with the 100' back lot line and see if it closes.

Does the plat georeference very well?

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
SenecaFrancis
New Contributor II

Unfortunately both phases and lots close on their own. It did georeference pretty well.

It does look like the surveyor may have pushed all the error to another phase as well.

SenecaFrancis_0-1701891610847.png

0 Kudos