Parcel Fabric Recalculate feature extents\Spatial Index

12-14-2023 12:26 PM
Labels (2)
RobertChaney
Occasional Contributor

I could possibly be having some performance issues that might relate to either the feature extents or spatial index of the parcel types within my published parcel fabric feature service.  When I add the fabric to a new map and click the full extent button, it starts displaying the data in a small tiny area in the middle of the data frame.  If I choose a parcel type layer and choose zoom to layer, I get the Calculating extent window, (not on all the parcel types, just a few).  If I try running the Recalculate Feature Class Extent geoprocessing tool, it tells me its not supported against input datasets from a feature service.

Can someone help explain the proper steps to recalculate the feature extents and spatial index when your data is branched versioned and published as a feature service.

Thanks.

Robert.

Arc Pro ver. 3.1.3

Fabric ver. 5

Enterprise ver.  11.0

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor

Hi @RobertChaney 

To recalculate the extents in a feature service (published) parcel fabric, the service needs to be stopped and the geoprocessing tool run on the enterprise geodatabase feature classes. The service can then be started and the new extents should be reflected immediately. 

This can be done with a short arcpy script:

import arcpy
from arcpy import env

gdb = r"/path/to/enterprise/geodatabase.sde"
env.workspace = gdb
fds = "fabric_feature_dataset"

for fc in arcpy.ListFeatureClasses(feature_dataset=fds):
    arcpy.RecalculateFeatureClassExtent_management(fc)

Regarding the "calculating extent" popup, there might be something more going on. I would suggest opening a support case where they can take a look.

0 Kudos
RobertChaney
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply Ken.

I did end up stopping the service and validating the spatial index on all the participating parcel types and recalculating the ones that needed to be recalculated.  Also, I ran the Recalculate Feature Class Extent geoprocessing tool.  Based on feed back from the editors they said it seemed faster.  I'll continue to monitor this and look into other options as well for improving performance.

0 Kudos