What is the best way to align complicated boundaries (like a stream or other natural boundaries) when the old lines and the new don't line up?

09-26-2023 01:35 PM
Labels (1)
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

I got an updated survey in and it is substantially different from the original record. The original line was just a simplified version of the stream that forms the boundary. The new survey actually follows the curve of the stream. What is the best way to align something like this?

Here is a screenshot of the area. The red line is the new boundary and the black line is the current line that needs to be replaced. 

MatthewBeal_0-1695760535611.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

merge the two featureclasses and then delete the old boundary won't work?

Integrate, pairwise integrate or topology seems like a bit of overkill given they are so different

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

I may be misunderstanding what you mean, but I don't think I can merge, because no parcels are being combined. Here is an overlay that shows what needs to happen. The red lines are the new geometry (which will result in one additional parcel being created. 

MatthewBeal_0-1695824548429.png

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Assuming you want to keep track of where the new lines came from, you can also consider:

1. Create a new record for the new survey
  2. Select the parcel and Shrink to Seed to preserve its attributes
  3. Delete the old simplified lines
  4. Select the new lines and use Copy - Paste Special  to copy them over to the correct layer
  5. If necessary, use Extend/Trim
  6. Press 'Reconstruct from Seeds' to grow the seed again
0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

In addition to redefining the boundary line to the creek centerline, it is also creating a new parcel. In that case, would I need to shrink all three affected parcels to seed and manually remove the lines around? What about the surrounding parcels that are affected, but not necessarily a part of this record. How would I handle those?

I know you guys have done a lot of demos in the past and I've looked for one that handled a situation like this but haven't found one so far. Are you aware of a recording that might cover a situation like this? Thanks!

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@MatthewBeal 

If you are allowed to share a portion of your data in this area we can find the time to record a video that would show how to do that.

As for your questions - YES: you need to shrink any parcel that is impacted by the new natural boundary.

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

I'll be glad to share this portion of our data. What's the best way to get it to you guys?

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@MatthewBeal 

I've sent you a direct message

0 Kudos