Multipart polygons in ArcPro parcel fabric

Jump to solution
10-18-2023 12:22 PM
PrestonDallas1
New Contributor II

I am new to the parcel fabric and have been trying to learn how to use the ArcGIS Pro (version 3.0.4) parcel fabric through the videos on the community pages and have been helpful.  One topic that I have not seen discussed is multipart polygons and how they work within the fabric.  We recently annexed a farm that will being subdivided out through various phases and the beginning phase cut the parcel in half via a new road but the parcel number on the two halves are still the same.  Adding a new phase has been fairly straightforward but when I build the fabric from seeds, only one part of the multipart polygon gets created.

Are multipart parcel polygons not recommended to be used within the parcel fabric?  Or is exploding the parcel, performing any edits, and merging the unchanged portions back into a multipart parcel the way to go?

Thanks,

Preston

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

So take this with a grain of salt, because it is anecdotal and I can't find the parcel fabric patch notes to support it, but I had this same problem in the past. I believe it was fixed in a more recent update of ArcGIS Pro because I haven't had this problem occur for a while. For reference, I am on version 3.1.3. Here is a multipart parcel from our fabric: 

MatthewBeal_1-1697815225974.png

When I shrink it to seeds, it creates three seeds as shown below:

MatthewBeal_2-1697815262832.png

I then use the reconstruct from seeds button, and it rebuilds all three of them as one: 

Parcel Fabric multipart.gif

Make sure that all three of your parts have the exact same attribute information and they should be combined combined into one multi-part parcel. If you have the ability to, I would try and update to the latest version of ArcGIS Pro and then test it again. 

Hopefully this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

So take this with a grain of salt, because it is anecdotal and I can't find the parcel fabric patch notes to support it, but I had this same problem in the past. I believe it was fixed in a more recent update of ArcGIS Pro because I haven't had this problem occur for a while. For reference, I am on version 3.1.3. Here is a multipart parcel from our fabric: 

MatthewBeal_1-1697815225974.png

When I shrink it to seeds, it creates three seeds as shown below:

MatthewBeal_2-1697815262832.png

I then use the reconstruct from seeds button, and it rebuilds all three of them as one: 

Parcel Fabric multipart.gif

Make sure that all three of your parts have the exact same attribute information and they should be combined combined into one multi-part parcel. If you have the ability to, I would try and update to the latest version of ArcGIS Pro and then test it again. 

Hopefully this helps!

0 Kudos
PrestonDallas1
New Contributor II

Thank you for your help Matthew!  I do have seeds for each part of the multipart polygon but the reconstruct from seeds only fills in one of the polygons.  I'm going to chalk this up to being a version behind and will look at updating ArcPro.

Thanks!

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@PrestonDallas1 

Question: "Are multipart parcel polygons not recommended to be used within the parcel fabric? "

Answer: the parcel fabric does support multipart parcels. You can create a multipart parcel by using the Merge tool with the option "into existing". With ArcGIS Pro 3.2 we also support using the Explode tool to convert it from multipart to single parts. If you have an active record and use Explode it will create parcel history. This feature was requested by your 'neighbors': HCAD. 

Question: Or is exploding the parcel, performing any edits, and merging the unchanged portions back into a multipart parcel the way to go?

Answer: I didn't count the number of mouse clicks for each option. Keep in mind that you have to use 'Reconstruct from seeds' when the boundary lines around a seed are not associated with the same record as the seed (or not associated with any record).

0 Kudos