Event Editor Configuration Documentation Feedback

03-26-2019 02:10 PM
TracyThorleifson
New Contributor III

I'd like to provide a bit of feedback on Event Editor configuration documentation, in particular documentation relative to modifying the config.json file for actual use. While I was able to get the Event Editor up and running without too much pain, that's only because I'm already reasonably versant in the operation and administration of ArcGIS Server and Portal. Without that prior experience, I don't believe I'd have been able to successfully configure Event Editor using the documentation provided.

The documentation for modifying the config.json file (Configuring the Event Editor web application) is particularly deficient in providing useful detail and examples for Portal implementations. I humbly offer the following specific suggestions:

1. Property: webmap - The example rwc.json webmap configuration file is almost useless. Documentation for this file should explain, in detail, each element of the .json webmap file. Documentation should explain to the user how to obtain webmap URLs and other relevant properties on ArcGIS Server, as well has how to do the same for basemap layer elements in ArcGIS Online. Screenshots should be provided.
  2. Property: geometryServiceUrl - Documentation should tell the user how to locate the URL for the geometry service on ArcGIS Server, with appropriate screenshots.
  3. Property: proxyUrl - The provided link takes the user to the generic ArcGIS Serve JavaScript API 3.x documentation home page - it doesn't take you to any topic pertinent to the subject property.
  4. Property: security: portalAppId - A link to the topic for obtaining the Portal App ID for the registered web app (Configuring Portal for ArcGIS or ArcGIS Online for Event Editor) should be provided, as well as a discussion of why this is important from a security standpoint.

The above suggestions should be considered minimal enhancements; they'll help the user get Event Editor up and running in a reasonably secure fashion in a Portal implementation, but not much more. It would be very helpful to provide the user with step by step configuration overview of some sort; perhaps a flow diagram with embedded links would be appropriate. A tutorial video of some sort might also prove very useful. In general, the documentation appears to targeted towards someone who already knows how to do the configuration, and just needs a reference document. It does not appear to be targeted towards first time APR users, much less users who are novices in Portal and ArcGIS Server administration. If the intent is to help promote widespread adoption of APR, the existing documentation is not doing a lot to help.

1 Reply
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

We appreciate the valuable feedback and will enhance the documentation for ease of use. Thanks!

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos