Should I go with DOT NET for backend or is there a better tool

11-03-2023 09:11 AM
Labels (2)
DiegoNavarro
New Contributor

Hello everybody, 

So I'm a bit new to the ArcGIS coding world.

In my current job they are requesting me to build a web application using ArcGIS experience builder, its pretty strait forward to use thanks that I know react already. Where I'm having trouble is  to build the backend for the web page, I already have a computer with ArcGIS server, portal, and ArcGIS web adaptor, I also have a internal Geodatabase with SQL.

So my question is, do I have to build the backend with .NET or can I take a different approach like using Node JS, (I know nothing about .NET, so learning curve would be on the time list, but I have built application with NODE.js).

Another question is I know I can overwrite services with the rest service API directly from Experience builder, But this would be very slow to the user if the want to update a feature layer. I'm I getting mislead with this information?, I think it would be way faster to just interact with the database it self without having to use the rest services API to Overwrite any changes.

So basically my question is can I use NODE JS for the backend and interact directly with my SQL database or is it better to just use .NET although the learning curve might take a while?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

You don't need to do anything with dotnet since you are just accessing REST based services. Use what you are most comfortable with.

Esri doesn't want you to hit the database directly, especially for writing features. Use the API.

0 Kudos