Add multiple feature classes to Map as Group

02-14-2024 11:05 AM
Labels (1)
JenniferBorlick
Occasional Contributor III

When I am in Catalog and have multiple feature classes selected, I would like the option of sending the data to a new or existing map as a new group layer.

So in this menu, 

JenniferBorlick_0-1707937370509.png

You would also see Add to Current Map as a New Group Layer

and 

Add New Group Layer to New>.

5 Comments
Bud
by

As a temporary workaround, could you manually create a group layer and then select multiple items in Catalog and drag them all at the same time into the group layer?

RonaldHaug

Hi Jennifer,

When I want to add a number of feature classes to a map from the catalog, I shift-click or control-click the items I want to add, which highlights them, then right-click, and click add to map.

That's easy enough to do.

If you want to make a layer package which includes feature layers you want to use in most of your maps like a basemap, you can do that by selecting the feature layers you want in the contents pane, right click and export as a layer package. This has the added benefit of saving your hard-won symbology, and it's a group.

MErikReedAugusta

I think you both might be slightly misunderstanding the intent of the Idea.  (Feel free to step in correct me if I'm also misunderstanding, @JenniferBorlick )

Ultimate Goal

1. Add multiple layers to a map
  2. Group those layers in a Group Layer
  3. Do steps 1 & 2 as efficiently as possible

Current Workflow (Option 1):

1. Create empty Group Layer
  2. Shift/Ctrl-select the relevant layers and drag them to the group layer

Problems: Pro can sometimes be finicky when trying to drag things from the Catalog pane (at least in my experience).  Using the context menu makes it more clear when Pro is still thinking and when it's ready for you to issue the command.  As a result, it ends up slightly faster, because you don't have wasted attempts dragging into the map; you send the command once and right as Pro is ready to receive the command—no downtime while you repeatedly try again and fail.

Current Workflow (Option 2):

1. Shift/Ctrl-select the relevant layers, right-click one of them, and select "Add to Map" from the Context menu
  2. Make sure all layers are still selected in the Contents pane, right-click one of them, and select "Group Layers"
  3. Drag the group to wherever it needs to be in the Contents pane.

Problems: If you're inserting multiple different kinds of layers (points, polygons, etc.), then Pro might scatter them all throughout your Contents pane, making it a little more difficult to make sure you have all of them.  It also is going to put the Group Layer wherever the top layer was (if memory serves), so you still have to reposition the group, too.

Proposed Idea/Solution:

Add an option to the context menu for "Add to Map as Group Layer" when you have multiple items selected.  This would then open a dialog box to ask the name of the Group Layer and would be equivalent to steps 1 & 2 of Option 2, above.

It's a tiny thing, but it's also one of those easy improvements that seems unlikely to have that many problematic ripple effects and that could add up to decent enough time savings over time.

TanuHoque

Just a quick note.

We have an issue in Pro where layers don't remain selected in the Contents pane when you add multiple layers from the Catalog pane. We are working on resolving this issue and make it available to our users in one of upcoming releases. 

The resolution will help the user experience for the above-mentioned workflow better. Once added, all you will need to do is right-click and choose Group command from the context menu.

JenniferBorlick

@MErikReedAugusta Hit the nail right on the head. Yes, I can do option 1 or 2. The proposed solution is what I’m after. It’s a tiny thing but one that I continually wish was there. I do it often enough that I thought other people might appreciate this idea as well.