ArcGIS Pro could stop appending ":25" to mailto addresses in metadata

07-21-2023 02:39 PM
Labels (1)
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

It would be great if ArcGIS Pro would stop appending ":25" to email address mailto links.  E.g., mailto:support@esri.com in metadata link becomes support@esri.com:25 as the email address in the To line of the email.  As a bonus, it would be even greater if that didn't happen in Portal after importing the metadata, too.

tim

15 Comments
BruceHarold

Maybe something to do with default port 25 for SMTP.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for the Idea @TimMinter 

Could you share specifically where you see this?  Some more information about how your metadata is created, and some screenshots so we can get a better idea of where this is happening, would help us get closer to the root of this issue. 

I do not see this happening in the ArcGIS Pro metadata display when metadata is created in Pro for local data (geodatabase or otherwise) using the Pro metadata editor. When I hover over the email link in the metadata display in Pro, I can see the mailto: link in the "hovertext" that appears at the bottom of the metadata display (i.e. the browser control that shows the HTML), and I am not seeing the same ":25" present.

TimMinter

Hi @SSWoodward - I see it happening in ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2, various fields.  If I then "share as web layer" the ":25" shows up in the relevant item description field.

TimMinter_0-1690224798293.png

SSWoodward

Thanks, are you creating these manually? or some other way? 

Can you show me what is in the description input box when you go to edit the metadata?

TimMinter
SSWoodward

Thanks @TimMinter ,

I can repro that. When you mention 'importing to portal', could you help me understand your workflow a bit more so I can check on that piece of the idea as well.

This seems more likely to be a bug than an idea to me. I'm grateful you're bringing it to our attention. 

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Open

TimMinter

@SSWoodward 

• ArcGIS Pro > view metadata > metadata > Save As > Save As XML... > Without Sensitive Info > output.xml file
  • Portal > item description > metadata > Overwrite > Open file > output.xml file

If it's a bug, it would be great if ArcGIS Pro team could add it to the test harness(es?).

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Closed

Afternoon @TimMinter ,

I have confirmed with the content management team that this is a bug and they are opening an internal issue for addressing it in a future release.

Since bugs don't meet the criteria for posts on the Ideas exchanges, I'll close the Idea, but it will remain visible to the community and other users will still be able to comment on it. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your workflows with us, and for bringing this to our attention.

TimMinter

Thanks @SSWoodward.  I appreciate you checking ArcGIS Pro for us.

I can never tell if what I'm dealing with when things don't work is an Esri bug or not.  Often, I'll report a bug and get initial responses that it's by design; it's a problem with the documentation; we have massive test harnesses, quality programs, and strategies; etc.  I'm very hesitant to open support cases because they can suck so much of my time right out of my employer's pockets.  So, given all that, it just seems to me like a great idea that ArcGIS Pro would not append ":25" to mailto targets.  Looking forward to that.

tim