ArcGIS Pro functions for map services

04-22-2020 01:30 AM
Labels (1)
AdolfŠikola
New Contributor II

I believe that ArcGIS Pro should also include features for managing map services such as:

• stopping map service
  • starting map service
  • restart map service
  • delete map service
47 Comments
MatthewStull1

Thanks Luke, I know you have your ear close to these types of things so I appreciate your feedback!  I love the thought of making the architecture easier to manage.  FYI, to everyone else on this thread; I know Luke and he's the best GIS support tech I've ever worked with.  He's really knows this stuff!

LukeSavage

@MatthewStull1 Thank you Matt.  Very kind of you to say. We learn from each other so much and that's what the GIS community is all about.  Exchanging ideas, making a better world together by expanding our minds and removing the barriers that inhibit creativity. Like Jack Dangermond said a year or so ago, 'Our minds limit the possibilities'.  I think I paraphrased but the point is we expand our mind, think outside of the box and incorporate a collection of ideas.

tigerwoulds

I spoke with the ArcGIS Pro team during the conference, specifically at the expo. They did understand this idea fully and told me it's not 100% off the table and that they are considering it. I guess this contradicts what @LukeSavage heard during the afternoon plenary. So...who knows...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MatthewStull1

Thanks for the update on this TigerWoulds.  That's good to hear that it's still a possibility.  Yes, they did say during the plenary that these functions would not be in Pro.  Funny that they aren't consistent.

LukeSavage

@tigerwoulds @MatthewStull1 , indeed.  I'm all for this as it will help admins in the future.  I just know there is a conflict in how the tech is being developed and our old ideology of workflow is against what they want to see in the future.  Users have voice so hopefully people continue to voice their concerns. Giving us capability in APIs and being able to manage this in an administrative experience is key.  I think we all agree on that certainly.  Whatever the experience is, it needs to be manageable from a system admin perspective. 

MichaelChapiesky

I wanted to start using ArcGIS Pro for managing published maps and locators. I found that Catalog in ArcGIS Pro does not allow you to manage, just to publish, you have to sign into Manager to manage the published items.  

ArcGIS Pro is supposed to make our jobs easier, having to sign into anther window does not help. 

Just because some developer sitting in a room in Redlands that does not work in the real world with this product day in and day out that does not think it is worth their time,  mean that it should not be enhanced. 

I wish I had realized this issue before the conference and attended those sessions or bugged the staff at the ArcGIS Pro and Enterprise areas every day about this issue. 

This issue needs to be enhanced. 

CWKAdmin

It is completely infuriating that service administration is being overlooked with the replacement client.  If they do not want to carry over the functionality of ArcMap with these into Pro, then at least provide a much improved interface in Server Manager for doing these things.  

Also, Pro needs significant improvement with performance working on data in SQL Server.  Rename a feature class, be prepared  to wait 5-10 minutes for it to complete. (then open ArcMap and notice that Pro did not rename the FC after all!!)  ArcMap, it takes 2 seconds to do this.  (Pro 3.0.3)

We are on an ELA and pay way too much money for this lack of foresight, testing and understanding of user requirements with their product.  I encourage everyone to write Esri and demand they keep ArcMap in full support until the functionality is fully integrated with ArcGIS Pro, Testing and working properly.

BobPerham

Why hasn't this been implemented? Adding this functionality to Catalog is a no-brainer. Who's making decisions over there, ESRI? Get this added!

DavidStoneking

I'm running 3.1.1. Still has not been implemented. gotta go load up ArcCatalog again in order to do my job efficiently.

@MichaelChapieskymade a great comment that I agree with 100% "Just because some developer sitting in a room in Redlands that does not work in the real world with this product day in and day out that does not think it is worth their time, mean that it should not be enhanced" The whole ArcGIS Pro experience feels that way.

Starting and Stopping services in ArcCatalog makes administration fast and easy. the web version is slow and cumbersome. Logging into multiple servers is even slower since our IT department forces us to use a separate AD Admin account AND requires 2FA.

ethangranger1

ArcGIS Server manager is not an acceptable solution to the missing ability in ArcGIS Pro to "restart" one or more services because:

1. ArcGIS Server Manager can only stop (one operation) and start (second operation). This requires the user to be "at the ready" to start a stopped service.
  2. Restarting a service (with ArcMap) is so fast, that it does not cause interruption to users of the service in a web map app context. Stopping (one operation) and Starting (a second operation) is slow enough to be disruptive and again, the administrator must remain "at the ready."
  3. ArcGIS Server Manager can only stop and then start one service at a time. Frequently, I need to restart multiple services (Or all of them). This can essentially be a single click operation in ArcMap, but to perform a stop (one operation) and a start (second operation) on multiple services one at a time may take several minutes depending on the number of services during which the administrator needs to be active and users are experiencing a disruption.
  4. ArcGIS Server Manager paginates the services, so you can't even see them all adding more time to searching or clicking through the list. Further when the page refreshes, it takes you back to page one, where again you have to find the service you now need to start.

ArcGIS Server Manager is NOT equivalent and a far worse experience to what ArcMap provides for managing services. This kind of product thoughtlessness hinders the transition of users to newer technologies making it more expensive for ESRI by having to support and maintain two code bases for a longer period of time.