Improve performance of Delete Rows Geoprocessing tool when source data is ArcOnline feature service

07-14-2021 12:28 AM
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

So with Pro 2.8, we got the much wanted improvements to the Append tool when appending features to a feature service in ArcOnline. This reduced upload times when appending hundreds or thousands of features from many, many mintutes/hours to mere seconds. 

It would be great if the same sort of improvement could be applied to the Delete Rows tool for when you're trying to do the opposite (still painfully slow). 

21 Comments
Mbizzy
by

Since I regularly delete hundreds or thousands of records in online feature services, one work around I have started using the rest admin page and input the object ids I wish to delete.  So far I am finding this to be orders of magnitude faster:  45 minutes down to 5 in some cases.

But kudos given to Idea since the cloud is about big data.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

@Mbizzy I have used that before, but still found it would time out after a a few thousand records and I'd have to hit refresh and submit the query again, repeatedly until all the records were gone. 

RussellBrennan
Status changed to: Implemented

@LindsayRaabe_FPCWA I am happy to report that this should be a lot faster in Pro 3.1. We are now grouping edits into fewer round trips to the feature service so it should work a lot faster especially in cases where you are deleting a lot of data. This is for both Delete Rows and Delete Features tools. 

We have also made some server side changes that allow us to put more edits into each ApplyEdits request we send to the feature service (Asynchronous ApplyEdits and ApplyEdits with UploadID) . Look for these server side changes in Enterprise 11.1 and the next (summer update) to ArcGIS Online.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

@RussellBrennan Great news! I look forward to trying it out. Do you have an ETA on 3.1 release date? 

Enterprise isn't something we use so won't get that benefit, but imagine many others will!

KoryKramer

ArcGIS Pro 3.1 is currently scheduled to be available February 23rd, 2023.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

@KoryKramer Awesome. Thanks! Been hanging out for this one as our org refused to upgrade to 3.0 which is where I've been doing all my development. 

KoryKramer

Good to hear @LindsayRaabe_FPCWA Just remember that leapfrogging 3.0 doesn't mean you get to leapfrog breaking changes. Make sure that your organization reviews https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/announcements/get-ready-for-arcgis-pro-3-0/ and understands https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/migrate-2x-to-3.htm .

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

@KoryKramer Thanks. I've had a good read of those articles previously. The logic behind skipping (which I don't agree with) is to let other orgs find the bugs and have them fixed by 3.1, though as we all know, new bugs sneak in with all releases, so seems kinda pointless (especially considering I'm yet to find any bugs in 3.0 that have impacted our workflows.). 

Anyways, nearly there with 3.1 so I'm happy to wait another week!

Mbizzy
by

Cant wait to try 3.1 when released!

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

I'm trying to use the "improved" Delete Rows tool in 3.1.....except it isn't working. I've removed my python script tool which was doing a Truncate and Append process (as that seems to be dodgy now I'm in  3.1 as well) and replaced it with Delete Rows and Append, but it keeps returning a 999999 error. Also tried the Delete Features tool with the same result. The Truncate Table tool still doesn't work for me as I can't find a way to change my feature service to support the Truncate option. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1678433272054.png