Acreage Calculations

06-28-2023 07:49 AM
PatrickAllen3
New Contributor III

What is the difference between Arc map calculating an area of acreage that take about 1 to 2 seconds compared to GIS PRO which takes nearly 30 to 50 seconds.

Tags (1)
9 Replies
CTalbot
New Contributor III

about 29 to 48 seconds. 

can you provide any further details on how you're doing this process? i.e., possibly in a field calculator?

Sincerely,
Christopher
JonathanNeal
Esri Contributor

I bet your using SQLite/.geodatabase data?  There is a performance bug that is likely avoided because of how ArcMap is constructed (Runs in an edit session, Runs on a single thread).  We have a partial fix for it for 3.2 if this is the case (fingers crossed on getting to it). 
Maybe this could simulate in Pro an ArcMap experience?

1.  Open a TableView of the data
  2. Double click a field, do an edit then undo it
  3. TableView Calculate Geometry, this will open up in the floating window, which runs the tool in the main thread.

If you have any data (descriptions and datatypes are good too) or steps that you would like us to try please send so we can clarify this Idea a bit. (Probably a performance bug)

0 Kudos
PatrickAllen3
New Contributor III
I maintain parcel date with parcel polygons.
I open up the Attibute table for my parcel to show only selectable records, right click on the field created called Acres click calculate geometry, there alone take about 8 seconds while it thinks about that. I set the correct fields of parcels, acres and area for property, area unit of US Survey Acres and hit ok.. it thinks for at least 30 seconds to come up with a result.
This is done the same way in arcmap; calculate geometry, hit ok and within 1 second its done

0 Kudos
JonathanNeal
Esri Contributor

@PatrickAllen3 This is new to my knowledge.
+@KenGalliher1  @JasonCamerano 

0 Kudos
CTalbot
New Contributor III

I've done a good bit of parcel work as well and used a similar process.

do you get a different result or just different length of time? 

Sincerely,
Christopher
0 Kudos
PatrickAllen3
New Contributor III

For Pro to do the calculation run time just to start the process and then run the acreage calculation takes much more time, same result.

0 Kudos
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor

Can you provide the following info:

1. The dbms or gdb type of both the ArcMap data and the Pro data. Is this an enterprise gdb, file gdb or mobile gdb?

2. Is the polygon feature class in a parcel fabric or a simple feature class?

3. How many polygons are being calculated? 

0 Kudos
PatrickAllen3
New Contributor III
Both gdb files in arcmap and PRO, it is a file gdb and is not a parcel fabric, just a simple polygon and usually 1 to 2 polygons at a time. The calculation time frame does not seem to vary.

Patrick Allen
Ontario County Tax Mapping Dept.
Phone: 585-919-2746
Fax: 585-393-2991
Online Resources:
https://oncorng.co.ontario.ny.us/Html5Viewer/index.html?viewer=oncor.OnCOR_HTML5

JonathanNeal
Esri Contributor

Thanks @PatrickAllen3 Reached out, and will receive a .shp file to evaluate further for the performance bug.
 - Other notes in our conversation are Some questions about using Locate that I will forward to the team for their evaluation (Forwarding to the team who understands this better).
 - Other notes #2, maybe a productivity enhancement for Transect Lines, a clearer case will be sent for evaluation (Will reply back in email on that particular case).

0 Kudos