Add Point to a Polygon Feature

02-15-2024 09:00 AM
DerekBernard
Occasional Contributor

I have a CSV with my city's Meters listed.  The address data is not good, but each meter does have a Parcel Id on it.  Can I create a point inside my Tax Parcels for each Meter joining them by that Parcel Id?  Sometimes there are multiple meters per parcel.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, you can first bring in the CSV as a table to the project's geodatabase and do a `one to many` relate to the parcels and then export that relate result as a new dataset.

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
DerekBernard
Occasional Contributor

How do you "Export that relate result as a new dataset"?

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh wait since you have both the datasets in the same GDB you can simply do a one to many table join. For more reference please see 

ArcGIS Pro Join One to Many Join by Attribute

Ed__0-1708018856438.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Another workflow to consider is:

1. Export the CSV to a geodatabase table using the Table to Geodatabase GP tool.
2. Create a 1-M relationship class of your parcels (polygon) to your meters (non-spatial table).
3. This workflow does not create a point for your meters in the polygon but does establish a relationship between your parcels and 1 (or more) meters.

Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

@Robert_LeClair nice, can you then export the relationship class a feature class?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So the non-spatial table establishes a "connection" to the parcels polygon feature class.  It will not export out to a point feature class.  If your CSV has location data, like Latitude/Longitude, then you can run the XY Table to Point GP tool to create a point feature class.  Even with this new feature class, you can still build a relationship class as well.