Alias cannot be saved?

Jump to solution
12-16-2020 04:22 PM
Labels (3)
hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Hello all!

I am currently facing an issue related to use aliases in the attribute table. There are some filed created by Near Tool such as NEAR_FID, NEAR_DIST, NEAR_FROMX, etc.

I want to change aliases of those fields from, for example, NEAR_FID to NEAR_FID_Elem so that I could easily join tables without making any confusions. However, the problem is that I cannot save my alias! I changed the alias and it seemed to be adjusted, so I saved the edits. For some reasons, I removed from the table of contents and reload it from file geodatabase. When opening the attribute table after reloading, the changed alias got back to the original one!

I am wondering if this happens just for the fields generated by the geoprocessing like NEAR in this case, or it happens everytime I reload from the file geodatabase. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When you change the aliases in your project, they are saved in the project, but will be forgotten if you remove the layer and add it again. If you want to make those changes permanent, you'll have to go into the geodatabase and change the aliases in there.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Are you doing this from the attribute table 'fields view' pane or via the catalog window (feature class properties -> source)? I know ArcMap was flakey with these.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When you change the aliases in your project, they are saved in the project, but will be forgotten if you remove the layer and add it again. If you want to make those changes permanent, you'll have to go into the geodatabase and change the aliases in there.

JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @KenBuja,

I am not sure how, but this is something I have never realized.

I am wondering if there is a way to apply all of the aliases in a FC saved in a project to the alias field in the geodatabase? I have a lot of work to do otherwise... 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am not aware of a way to do that

0 Kudos
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks! 

0 Kudos