Arc Pro 3.0 Maplex label issues

11-16-2022 08:22 AM
RobinLatour
New Contributor II

We use a compound point style in our mapping - a circle with an arrow, then it's rotated by attributes. In previous versions, it's never been an issue to label the point - the labels sits right in the middle of the circle. Since 3.0 came out, it's like the label anchor has moved and can't be shifted so that the labels appear offset for some reason. I've tested this with other arrow-shaped symbols (which are not compound) and they all work correctly - the symbol appears in the centre. When we turn off Maplex, though, and use Standard, the issue corrects itself and the point label appears centred. The label geometry seems to show a left alignment which cannot be changed to centre.

Maplex is by far a superior labeling engine and we need it for other labels, but this symbol is an important part of our output and it adds so much extra work to deal with. Suggestions??

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

I had the same exact issue with an almost identical symbol and label just this week. 

My workaround was to copy the layer, turn off the symbology for the new layer and only show the label which will reside centered on the point as desired.  Then turn off labeling but keep symbology for the original layer.

RobinLatour
New Contributor II

A very useful workaround - not sure at all why this works, but it solves it for me. 

0 Kudos
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Pro version 3.1, just released, introduces a new point labeling setting to control whether the label is centered on the symbol or on the point feature's geometry.

Centered on symbol:

JesseWickizer_1-1677192292970.png 

Centered on geometry:

JesseWickizer_2-1677192326513.png