Arc Pro Slow to delete feature class

11-25-2022 02:03 AM
RebeccaWatson1
New Contributor III

I'm using ArcPro 3.0.2, signed in to my AGOL account. I have a geodatabase on my computer that I am accessing via the Catalog window, the GDB has 9 feature classes in it. When I try to delete one of these FC from the GDB it is taking just shy of 2 minutes to complete the process. The feature class is not big, 186 points with 4 attributes. Pro has always been slow but this is worse than usual. Any suggestions to speed up the process?

Tags (2)
19 Replies
Scoth
by
New Contributor III

Same here. ArcPro is incredibly frustrating to use. Deleting things takes forever.

VincentNoynay
New Contributor

Same! I've been trying to delete feature classes on a GDB. I've tried using the Delete (Data Management Tools) but the progress bar just holds at 4% and no other message comes up. I've also tried relocating my GIS folder directly under C: but no effect can be seen from doing so. Same thing happens. Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
Scoth
by
New Contributor III

I actually had good results deleting unnecessary Maps, and removing unnecessary GDBs from the project. Not sure which one helped, but my guess is the project (aprx) just became too bloated. I had like 10 maps, and 20 GDBs. I didn't delete the GDBs, just removed the ones I wasn't using from my project. It's a bit weird that the number/size of other GDBs would affect deletion speed of feature classes in one GDB, but I've seen weirder things.

0 Kudos
JackFanZhang
Occasional Contributor

I came here becaue of the same reason. Delete a feature class from local drive which was not been used by any map taking more than 10 minutes. "I wonder how, I wonder why
Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue-blue sky
And all that I can see is just another lemon tree
I'm turnin' my head up and down
I'm turnin', turnin', turnin', turnin', turnin' around
And all that I can see is just another lemon tree"

0 Kudos
MatthewGeorge
Occasional Contributor II

A minor update - decided to delete a Feature Class via Catalog in Pro while I had Diagnostic Monitor running and it looks like doing this triggers the project to try and load every single data source that is used in any map in the project, regardless of whether the map is open or not, before it finally does the delete. If that is the case then it's definitely a bug.

0 Kudos
AllanBenvin_yyc
New Contributor III

Same thing for me, using Pro 3.1.1. Delete a featureclass with 100 records takes over a minute. Rename also takes a long time. 

I did some performance testing on some thing and found that  basic operations like arcpy.Exists or arcpy.Describe are 3 to 25 times slower than a similar machine when going against and enterprise GDB (Oracle in my case).

Example results for arcpy.Describe were:

Pro 2.9:   0.1seconds

Pro3.1:  4.02 seconds

I have submitted this to ESRI and it is logged as a bug BUG-000161441 

I'm not sure if the cause is the same but it seems to be very widespread. If these basic tasks are so much slower I'm sure the cumulative effects are even worse.

0 Kudos
MatthewGeorge

I've finally been able to get a bug logged. Will post the info when I receive the bug number.

0 Kudos
AllanBenvin_yyc
New Contributor III

I have a bug in for performance degradation between Pro 2.9 and 3.x.  - BUG-000161441

Operations such as arcpy.Describe or arcpy.Exists are 25 times slower. I used these to test as they are very simple and discrete and widely used in scripts and likely in Pro itself. 

MatthewGeorge

BUG-000163579 has been logged against this issue.

cle444
by
Occasional Contributor

March 2024. ArcGIS Pro 3.2. Same issue. Deleting a few feature classes within a local GDB takes 5+ minutes. It is just sad for such an expensive software.

0 Kudos